[Elfsea] mundane and SCA questions about Elfsea

Knitnick knitnick at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 18:33:05 PST 2007

Hi Therasia,
I'm a librarian so won't presume to speak for Engineering types, but I
interview in pants (make sure you have a jacket!!!!) I have heard though
that skirts-suits are a good idea but don't know how  well that holds out
for Engineering. Will you have to visit work sites? Are you more comfortable
(and confident) in a pants-suit? I really believe that most of the interview
isn't whether you are wearing pants or a skirt but rather do you give a
confident and knowledgeable impression to those who are interviewing you.
Good luck! As far as the airport, the security here is generally easily
navigable in the normal 2-hour allotment for arrival before you flight. It's
not a time for heavy holiday traffic but there may be some early
thanksgiving travelers so you might allow a bit more time. DFW airport is
set up to handle pretty heavy traffic loads, but I can't speak for Dallas.
I don't know about the socializing at bedford boys ranch...haven't yet made
it out to that practice, but if you are still here on Sunday there's usually
good socializing there.
I've answered those things I can, and I wish you every bit of luck in your
interview!
Peace,
Jorunn
soon to be moving to Kentucky...

On Nov 12, 2007 8:14 PM, Dr. C. M. Helm-Clark Ph.D. <cat at rocks4brains.com>
wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm from Artemisia visiting your area this week. I've
> been lurking this and the Ansteorran list for several
> weeks now because I suspected I would indeed be making
> this visit. I have a couple of questions, if you would
> be so kind to spare me a minute or two of your time.
>
> First: I have almost no feel for the local business
> culture.  I've been working in Idaho where work attire
> for professional nerds is relatively relaxed. I am
> visiting your area because I have an interview with
> the R&D group of a large geophysics business. My million
> dollar question is this: is it suicide to interview in
> a nice pantsuit or do I need to go and buy a suit with
> a skirt tomorrow? Now, if I were interviewing in NYC
> or Boston, I'd be wearing a skirt, but in LA or Boise,
> pants are ok.  What's the gig as to pants vs. skirt
> for women engineering types interviewing in the Dallas-
> Fort Worth area? Anyone?
>
> Second: the Elfsea calendar indicates that there is a
> fighter practice on Wednesday evening. Is it a practice
> with possible sufficient hanging-out-and-socializing
> to justify trying to get to the Bedford Boys Ranch park
> from Benwood? And is it possible to get there via mass
> transit (or am I showing my woeful ignorance as to how
> easy or hard it is to get around without a car)? My
> life won't end in a sea of disappointment if I can't get
> there but it would be nice to get a feel for the local
> SCA if I get a job offer (which, from my discussions
> with these folks, is more likely than not).
>
> Last: how horrific is the security line at the airport?
> I have a 9 PM flight on thursday evening and am trying
> to gauge if I have time to fit in seeing some of the
> area when I'm done with my interview (which should be
> done by 2).  But I have no feel for how bad the security
> line will be or how long it will take to get to the
> airport from Benwood via cab or otherwise. Thoughts,
> anyone?
>
> Thanks for considering this clueless Artemisian's
> silly questions.  :)
>
> Therasia
> Barony of 1000 Eyes/Artemisia

You are no less and no more than the sum of what you believe. Use your mind
to create the best of all worlds. JLW05