[Elfsea] mundane and SCA questions about Elfsea

Dr. C. M. Helm-Clark Ph.D. cat at rocks4brains.com
Mon Nov 12 18:14:04 PST 2007

Greetings,

I'm from Artemisia visiting your area this week. I've
been lurking this and the Ansteorran list for several
weeks now because I suspected I would indeed be making
this visit. I have a couple of questions, if you would
be so kind to spare me a minute or two of your time.

First: I have almost no feel for the local business
culture.  I've been working in Idaho where work attire
for professional nerds is relatively relaxed. I am
visiting your area because I have an interview with
the R&D group of a large geophysics business. My million
dollar question is this: is it suicide to interview in
a nice pantsuit or do I need to go and buy a suit with
a skirt tomorrow? Now, if I were interviewing in NYC
or Boston, I'd be wearing a skirt, but in LA or Boise,
pants are ok.  What's the gig as to pants vs. skirt
for women engineering types interviewing in the Dallas-
Fort Worth area? Anyone?

Second: the Elfsea calendar indicates that there is a
fighter practice on Wednesday evening. Is it a practice
with possible sufficient hanging-out-and-socializing
to justify trying to get to the Bedford Boys Ranch park
from Benwood? And is it possible to get there via mass
transit (or am I showing my woeful ignorance as to how
easy or hard it is to get around without a car)? My
life won't end in a sea of disappointment if I can't get
there but it would be nice to get a feel for the local
SCA if I get a job offer (which, from my discussions
with these folks, is more likely than not).

Last: how horrific is the security line at the airport?
I have a 9 PM flight on thursday evening and am trying
to gauge if I have time to fit in seeing some of the
area when I'm done with my interview (which should be
done by 2).  But I have no feel for how bad the security
line will be or how long it will take to get to the
airport from Benwood via cab or otherwise. Thoughts,
anyone?

Thanks for considering this clueless Artemisian's
silly questions.  :)

Therasia
Barony of 1000 Eyes/Artemisia