[Elfsea] Website User logon and Account Lockout Information

djvarble djvarble at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 08:49:01 PDT 2007

Greetings!

Have you tried to log on to the website only to be frustrated and not being
able to log on?  Well you get it, there's an account lockout.  Some of you
(6 really) have been locked out.  I will reset these accounts and email each
of you (today or tomorrow) with a reset password procedure.  I have to do a
database query in order to see who has been lockout.  I'll try to set up a
schedule to monitor this (until I figure out how to send me an email when an
account had been lockout).

However, in trying to understand our website, I've uncovered the following
information on how our website locks out accounts.

There are two ways to be locked out of the website.  The first is failing to
use your correct password.  The second is failing to correctly answer your
question (the one you created when you registered on the website) when going
through the "Forgot Username or Password" procedure.

Logon Lockout:

You have a count of 4 attempts to logon (a blank password does not count).
On the 5 attempt you will be lockout.

If you attempt to logon a lockout account, the only message you will see is:

"Your login attempt was not successful. Please try again"

Note, that this is the generic one and only error message generated by the
website for the "Login" panel.  There is no way for you to know if your
account has been locked out.

Question Lockout:

If you are not lockout, have a count of 4 attempts to answer your question
(a blank entry does not count).  On the 5 attempt you will be lockout.
Once locked out the message below the blue dashed line changes from:

"Forgot your password? Enter your username to recover your password."

"Forgot your password? Enter your username to recover your password. We were
unable to access your information. Please try again."

Note, that this is the generic one and only error message generated by the
website for "Forgot Username or Password" panel.  There is no way for you to
know if your account has been locked out.

Once your account has been locked out, it can only be reset via database
update.

Please give send me a message if you think you've been lockout.

In Service,

Daniel of Cameron

Virtual Scribe Elfsea

vscribe at elfsea.net