[Elfsea] Elfsea Defender Iron Chef Competition

Julie Self julie_self at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 17 07:17:09 PDT 2007

I think this is a good time to be on someone's list!  Thank you.

Gwen
Loch Ruadh Rocks!

From: rjt at softwareinnovation.comTo: elfsea at lists.ansteorra.orgDate: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 08:16:04 -0500Subject: Re: [Elfsea] Elfsea Defender Iron Chef Competition

I apologize for missing that. You are now on my list again. And thank you.

Caelin

From: elfsea-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org [mailto:elfsea-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of Julie SelfSent: Monday, September 17, 2007 01:40 AMTo: Barony of Elfsea; 'ansteorra_announce at ansteorra.org'; godecookery at yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [Elfsea] Elfsea Defender Iron Chef Competition

Master Caelin, The Crimson Chimera West team has not withdrawn.  Has there been a misunderstanding of some sort?I sent the registration info and received confirmation. Gwenllian Brighid HertewelleLoch Ruadh Rocks!

From: rjt at softwareinnovation.comTo: ansteorra_announce at lists.ansteorra.org; elfsea at lists.ansteorra.org; godecookery at yahoogroups.comDate: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 11:50:40 -0500Subject: [Elfsea] Elfsea Defender Iron Chef Competition

As you may have heard, there will be an Iron Chef competition this year at Elfsea Defender, in Ansteorra. We last did this in 2004 (for my wedding) and the competition was awesome. Each of three teams produced a 4-5 course meal of the highest quality. Fine dining establishments would have been proud to serve any of them. The judges had a difficult time, but a winner was chosen and each member of the team got the prie a 2 quart professional sauté pan.

This year the competition will be run very much like the last one (see the rules below), but there are currently no registered teams! We had three teams, but  they had to withdraw. So the field is entirely open for you and your friends to win this great contest with all the bragging rights that offers! Not to mention a new prize for each team member (some professional cooking tool that every cook will want).

I need to have your registration no later than midnight Tuesday, September 18, 2007, so I can purchase the stuff that goes in the box for your team. Sign in for the competition will be at 0830 on Saturday morning. Boxes of ingredients will be chosen by lot at that time. Cooking may start immediately after the boxes are selected. The food will be served to the landed nobles and a wedding party at approximately 1300 (1 PM for the 24 hour time impaired). The order of serving will also be by lot, though you may negotiate among yourselves and switch the order if you wish.

Judges will include me (Caelin on Andrede), Lady Servita and HL Arkell (of the wedding party), and at least 3 others chosen from the royals and nobles.

To register please contact me at caelin at elfsea.net.

Rules for the Competition

The Scenario:You have been besieged for two months in your manor/castle. And your supplies are getting very low. Your fearless leader has decided to invite the opposition leader and two of his companions to parley. You must stretch your cooking skills to the limit to give the impression you have lots of food left and can hold out for as long as necessary.
Each team gets a box containing the same basic ingredients-total weight approx. 7-8 lbs. There will be 3 different boxes. Each box will contain
3 lbs. of meat
1 lb. of fruit
1 lb. of vegetables
1 lb. of rice or cous cous or legumes of some type,
1/2-1 lb. flour
3 eggs minimum (Eggs up to a doz may or may not be in one or more types of boxes)
Period sweetener
Salt, pepper, garlic & minced onion
A surprise item like maybe chocolate or nuts or such.
Potable water is available on the site, though you may have to carry it from the source to your prep area.

You don’t have to add anything to this, but you may add any or all of the following to your box before you start cooking. Any of these additions must be furnished by you as they will not be provided by the competition.

A maximum of 3 fresh herbs/spices (unlimited amounts)
Maximum of 3 dried herbs &/or spices (limited to 1/2 ounce each)
Spice blends (custom or commercial) count per spice/herb in the blend (except for salt & pepper which we are going to provide). Blend has 4 spices/herbs and one is salt then it will count as 3 items.One fresh fruit OR above-ground vegetable - limit 1 lb.
One root vegetable - limit 2 lbs.
You can substitute one doz eggs for either the fruit/veggie or root veggie that the team is allowed.
Liquids will be unlimited for water, milk, cream etc
Vinegar & Soy sauce (and for those that do know, yes soy sauce is period for some cultures) counts as a spice/herb so you are limited to one bottle of any kind and it counts against the 3 your team is allowed to bring.
Alcohol can be brought and counted as a spice/herb if used in the cooking
You may provide alcohol with the meal if you wish. Since you will be providing it, no SCA funds are involved and it is legal
Unlimited yeast can be brought and it will not count against you.
Cooks can bring their cookbooks
Cooks can bring their children, but may not use them as ingredients. J

The teams must provide their own cookware/equipment. All equipment /cookware must be non-electric. All cooking will be done outside/under tents.

We will have a limited # of loaner stuff and it will be in a big pile the morning of the event and will be available on a 1st come 1st serve basis the morning of the event. Don’t depend on us providing any cookware/equipment but if you see something that will make your job easier, you may use it.

We will provide drinks for the guests who eat your food, but you may provide drinks if you wish. We will also furnish simple paper plates and plasticwear for those guests who do not furnish their own feast gear.

If you have questions, contact me at caelin at elfsea.net or 214.850.1558.

In service to Elfsea, Ansteorra, and her Crown,
Caelin on Andrede, OP

Can you find the hidden words?  Take a break and play Seekadoo! Play now!