[Elfsea] Why people are not staying

April Page alpage1225 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 3 10:18:37 PDT 2008

Your Grace:
I take some umbrage at your suggestion that the vigil was a private affair and limited to "big shots patting other big shots on the back and getting drunk".  Count Gunthar, Sir Hrafn, Lady Elisabetta and I planned the joint reception/vigil to celebrate Gunthar's elevation to the Order of the Laurel and Hrafn's recent knighting on the fields at Gulf War.  An open invitation was issued on the Steppes, Lindenwood, Glaslyn, Elfsea and Ansteorra lists letting everyone know that all were welcome.  While Sir Hrafn's vigil pavilion was nearby, Baron Borek graciously allowed us to use his extremely large pavilion as "party central".  A number of friends assisted Gunthar and I in providing food, and House Porto brought one of the Porto gargoyles.  Yes there was alcohol, but we also provided non-alcoholic beverages and food.  It was a joint effort by many hands and we had many visitors from all over the site that night -- from the King all the way to
 newcomers.
As for entertainment, we had many come by after the bardic competition and offer songs and stories to those who would listen.  And, at Gunthar's invitation, Sir Kenneth stopped by for a while and entertained all with his songs.
It's not a matter of who is important and who isn't.  It's a matter of many things being scheduled at the same time and making a choice of which to attend.  No event planned that evening was less important than any of the others.
Lady Elizabeth Seale