[Elfsea] Issues at hand

Body Amara bodyamara at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 3 21:11:52 PDT 2008

Good evening all,

Having been a sideline player for a while, I see that there are some valid issues being raised here currently. If I may adress them in order of presentation:

Number one is related to individual preferances.  Location, temperature, party, and planning.  How far am I going? How hot is it out?  Who is going to be there and is there a reason to stay after dark?(event and group personal planns)  Does someone have an idea for the empty participation time and is willing to emplament the startup plan?  These have always been my considerations. They always very from event to event and situation of the year.

Number two is related to participation of sorts.
Why am I going?  If it is an Elfsea sponsored event, I go to suport the Barony.  Meaning I am hardly in camp, I am volunteering, and there is always something to do.  If it is an away event, I go to see friends from other Baronies and make new friends while I am there.  I wish I had more time to enjoy the many opportunities of our Guilds and Groups to make better my  Baronial connections in them, And life goes on...  The suggestion for cohesion sounds like a winner. It would give a much needed sense of together for many and a haven to find friends and hang out in the empty spaces of time.

The third is related to planning.
For event stewards there is a list of things that must be planned, should be planned, and just don't get around to.  This can provide a wonderful event.  Mind you I have been to events where there was more to do than there was time.  But the opposite is also true.  And dead time may also aply to non-eating periods,  such as after tournament but before court.(clothing changes, settups, etc...) There should be no reason why group games,  bardic preformances, and other ideas can't be suggested to the group and Barony before hand as a gap filler.  It can happen.

Fourth is a prime example of suggestion to group and Barony that is simple, to the point, and a worthy fix that makes sense to me.

Lastly, The Highland Games is a sad situation.
Having been there as a volenteer and as a passerby,  this is a hard loss in many ways.  My understanding was not enough volenteers and the circumstance of participation.  Previous note is that passersby see a vender booth and not a demonstration. Those that do see demo don't stay thru the demonstration. Frustration runs both sides of the coin.  Makes it tough to want to repeat the experience.  Recruitment was the purpose of the demo and to my reconning it has not worked all that well. Though there is something to be said for effort,  this does not seam productive on either part.

I hope these views help.

Lady Leannen MacNeil