[Elfsea] Gentle Reminders - Event Dates for 2009 and volunteering

Druinne de Salesberie druinne at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 10:56:12 PDT 2008

Druinne here...

First:

At Business Meeting this month, there be discussion about the event
dates for 2009. If you want to discuss this on the list, now would be
a good time to start.

We are looking at changing our PED to another weekend on the calendar.
 PED is our Perpetual Event Date and is currently the 4th weekend in
September. Three Kings has moved to an earlier date in the fall and
there are many, including Dáire and me, who believe that this
situation will result in a low gate at Defender and with two regional
events in succession, both events could suffer.

We also have had suggestions to bring back Baronial College and drop
Springfaire.

We need to have some ideas out here on the list to discuss and debate
before business meeting.  June is our target for making this decision
and at business there will either be a decision, if there is a general
consensus, or there will be a few proposals settled on to put forth to
the populace at June Moot.  The time to discuss is now, not at Moot.
If you are waiting to speak up then, it might be too late.  It would
also be good to hash out the pros and cons here on the list so that
business meeting can be more productive and we know that we have
really thought through this decision.

So, if someone out there would start a new thread on this topic, that
would be wonderful.

Second:

This weekend is a great time to get to know the Elfsea Family.  We
have a demo, that requires NO SITE FEE.  It is in Tarrant County.  It
doesn't even take up a whole day. I have seen alot of emails about
what makes events fun and how people do not feel included over the
past few weeks.  Here is a great, low-cost opportunity to come out and
get to know more people in the barony.  If you are new, this is a
great time to see more of what we are all about.  Dress in garb and
come hang out with us.  Don't worry about not knowing enough about
what we do.  Learn with the people who are asking questions.

This demo is going to be a sweet homecoming of sorts for Dáire and I.
Our very first "event" with the SCA was going with some friends to a
demo (where we had to dress up and answer questions) and Honorable
Lady Mara of Rede, who is the librarian there, was the hospitaler in
Elfsea when we started in the SCA.