[Elfsea] Why people are not staying

willowjonbardc at juno.com willowjonbardc at juno.com
Sat Jun 7 21:53:54 PDT 2008

My comment was not on the intent but that as the planned activity vigils don't really satisfied the needs of the people. Today's vigils are a reception having little to do with anything historical or a period rite of passage. What I saw was bit over whelming. I was sick for about 30 min right outside the entrance of the vigil. I saw many people come to the light and look at all the hats and back away.

I was overjoyed to hear that Duke Miguel went out and dragged people in. I am sure they had a good time when they got there.

what I am saying is we need to provide open public places for newcomers to gather. You asked why no one volunteered to do it. People didn't volunteer in the old days autocrats asked people to do things.

We would get together and plan for at least 3 activities in the  evening at Warlord. For many years we put on a tavern very much like the vigil party, a bardic circle and a dancing area. The were arranged so you could see the lights of one from the other spots.

we were creating a pre 17th century event and the barony as a whole would brainstorm as to what we wanted to see. I remember Alamondis and Aurelian were always catching me and the next thing I knew I was in charge of something. Aurelian would catch me up in OK and then I was working on Warlord or something in the Steppes.

That was back in days when we were excited to do things and had people in the group who could help teach you how to do things.

Today people haven't seem many of the activities and don't know how to do them. Young people aren't sure how to volunteer and they don't know how much work things would take. People today are very conservative with their time and don't want to fail or look silly.

It is almost like everyone is in a bubble and if no one sticks their finger through the bubble they just sit. Duke Miguel went and made sure people knew that it was OK for them to be at the "hat" party. I am sure he flashed his charisma and led them up like the pied piper.

I believe that we need to teach people and let them get their feet wet at running activities. That was what small events do. Many very good people will not volunteer they need to bought in and shown that they can be successful before they will start to run things.

If you look at leadership style in any textbook on organizations you will see the years of research on authoritative style groups. You will see that they foster apathy and non creativity and people in such group do not take initiative. I know it isn't true but from the outside we appear to be very authoritative. Back about 30 years ago we noticed this and talked many of the Baron/ess, nobles, peers and crowns to go around just encouraging people to do things. They publicly stated that they wanted people to do things. That was done for many years and it made a difference. I don't think we are doing that kind of cheer leading now???

I thought Warlord was fun. I just felt we needed a second area.
willow