[Elfsea] Camping/Day-tripping & Getting the Most for our money

eleanor cleavely whiteoakbard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 10:00:47 PDT 2008

Gustav, and all:

Good points made. I would say, though, that we should fight as hard as we
can to keep Defender as a camping event. Why?

While I can COMPLETELY understand the gas situation (as someone who commuted
40 miles a day), we should also look at the effect day events have. What can
we do while camping? Well:

   - you don't have to worry about tear-down while sweaty and gross from
   fighting.
   - You can hang out with your friends around the fire and swap BS stories
   about the day's activities.
   - You can sit and listen to our sublime and EXTREMELY talented Bards
   regale you with stories and songs of the past and present.
   - You can hang out and get to know people you normally wouldn't have the
   chance to speak to.

And many, many other reasons. There just isn't a substitute for camping.
Sure, day-tripping saves you a little bit of money. But, compared to what
you would gain if you stayed...I would say camping is a better choice. You
don't need a period pavilion or camp bed. Sleeping bags and Colemans work
just fine. It also helps build camaraderie amongst the populace and allows
the Nobles to get to know more of the populace.

Just my two ducats...
Eleanor

--
"Mine honor is my life; both grow in one;
take honor from me and my life is done."

Ego existo obstinantus - I am resolved

Reluctor ultum , pareo parum - Resist much, obey little