[Elfsea] Courtesy

Estella Flather eflather at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 11 10:16:39 PDT 2008

Greetings from HE Mistress Stella Silvana-
       (Uh oh, you'all are in trouble, she used her full name. Pay heed to her words! Ignore them at your peril! etc. etc.  ;-)
       The SCA is a volunteer organization based on upper class society of the Middle Ages (and other pre-seventeenth century cultures). This includes the concept of following the tenets of Chivalry. Courtesy is one of the basic qualities of Chivalry. We are all a reflection of one another. If you behave courteously toward others you will be more likely to get courtesy back.  If you write helpful, forward thinking ideas on this list, people will think well of you. If people think well of you, they are more likely to help you accomplish your goals and work with you on ideas you have for activities within the group.
       It is difficult to build a good reputation for getting things done in a helpful way. It is very easy to make things difficult for yourself if you do not treat others with courtesy. Courtesy is realizing that if you want to get something done you need to figure out how you can do it without infringing on other people's activities. Courtesy is realizing that people have many things to do and limited time to do them in. They don't have time to drop everything and do what you want. It's not that they hate you, they just don't have the time to spend on something they don't care about. You need to show responsibility and courtesy in helping others, then they will be more inclined to help you. If you don't have the courtesy to follow through and get done the activities you promise to do, people won't trust your ideas and be willing to spend their precious time helping you in the future.
       If you write things on this list that are ill considered, have spelling problems and don't sound like English, then people will think your words have no merit.
       We are mirrors. If you blame others, the blame falls back on you. If you speak badly of others, the bad words will come back on you. If you cry wolf, no one will trust you. If you move forward, present reasonable ideas and treat others with courtesy, all of us will be better for it and you are more likely to accomplish your goals. (In smaller words so everyone will understand: please be nice to each other, on this list or at our activities!)
       (Evidently I put away the soap box too soon!)

  I remain as always in service to the Barony of Elfsea and the Crown of Ansteorra-
  HE Mistress Stella Silvana (I am going to spell out the alphabet soup, because evidently some people are unfamiliar with the OP) (Order of Precedence), OL (Order of the Laurel), OP (Order of the Pelican), CSSA (Centurion of the Sable Star), AKE (Order of the Azure Keystone of Elfsea), Baroness of the Court of Ansteorra, Order of the Iris of Merit, Order of the Star of Merit, Lion