[Elfsea] OT: cholesterol

Miss M Brow starstruck503 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 19 10:45:02 PDT 2008

Sometime over the weekend, someone was talking about their cholesterol being "flipped"  - more LDL than HDL, which is really unhealthy.  This morning (ok, this afternoon) when I signed on, I checked out one of MSN's news bits and read that large doses (1K mg) of niacin will reduce LDL cholesterol and triglycerides while raising HDL, so I thought I'd pass this tidbit along to the list in hopes that whoever commented about his bp will find it useful.  Here is what the article had to say:

"Dr. Singh recommends that you talk to your doctor about cholesterol-lowering medicines, such as statins or the B vitamin niacin. Swallowing high doses (1,000 milligrams) of niacin daily may raise your HDL (good) cholesterol by as much as 24 percent, while at the same time lowering your LDL and triglyceride levels."

And if you're interested in reading the article, here's the link:

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100205363&GT1=31036

The comment I pilfered is about 2/3 down in "new strategy" for Avandia.

I now return you to your regular email, thank you.  Rua