[Elfsea] War and Goliards

eleanor cleavely whiteoakbard at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 21:10:43 PDT 2008

My friends,

My apologies, but I cannot sit idly by and not respond to Xue's post.

"My name is Xue XianXian and, I assure you, I am not dissatisfied with the
SCA.  In fact, I love it and you so very much that I have been
 doing anything I can to try and make things easier and more fun at every
event I?ve gone to for quite a while."

Funny, that's not what you said at the Warlord Bardic when you performed a
piece that essentially stated that we who play the game today are causing
the downfall of the SCA "as it used to be". In fact, you talked about
backstabbing, politics and exhorted those in the audience to "rise up" and
"change the game". I don't know about you, but I like the game just fine the
way it is.

  "I would first like to state that the Goliards were European performers
and writers who were dissatisfied with the Church.  They performed and wrote
Latin satire to goad the individuals they targeted into rethinking their
motives and actions and scorned the incorrect actions that the target had
committed.  This is a documented movement.  This is IN PERSONA. This is not
a threat to anyone who hasn?t been acting a fool at the expense of their own
people."

>From the Goliards Google Group: "Word. Action. Passion. Reform. A group for
us dedicated to researching, creating, and spreading the fruits of our joy
to willing ears,and unwilling ones, the current travesty that has befallen
the kingdom, our Home." Wait a second...that's not what it said earlier
today when it mentioned "dissent". While dissent is defined as a
disagreement in philosophy, the way it was used earlier today was in a
negative connotation and implied that your group meant to cause dissent and
division within our Barony. Changing a few words in your "statement of
purpose" in the hopes that people wouldn't read the true purpose doesn't
change anything.

  "Many people have problems with the SCA, the kingdom, or their individual
groups. They always have and always will.  This is simply the way of things.
 Throughout history scholars, warriors, artisans, and layman have come
together to discuss and deal with their problems in many ways.  We are all
aware of the fact that none of us are perfect and it wouldn?t be fair to ask
anyone to become so.  However, it is fair to ask people to consider
themselves, if for no other reason than for the good of their community.
 This
 group is a community.  Why is it so wrong to see someone doing something
awful and say something about it?  It simply CAN?T be."

Really? Many people? How many people from other kingdoms have you spoken to
about their obvious dissatisfaction with the game? Or is this a mere
projection of others' opinions?

"I do not ask you all to agree with me or to join me, as it seems that some
of you are greatly bothered by the actions that my comrades and I have been
recently involved in. For that, I am terribly sorry.  I have never sought to
breed this creature known as dissent among the people of Ansteorra..."

Really? Again, that's not what you've been saying lately on this list and at
the Steppes Bardic.

"In fact, I wish for us to all be happy and fairly treated.  I want us to
all feel like a family once more.  That would be the greatest thing I could
ever live to see.  You see, we should all be trying to have fun with each
other, not be blinded and splintered by ?stubborn assumptions?.  By stubborn
assumptions, I mean the fact that we are a community but we do not fully
perceive ourselves as one.  We see threats and treacherous thinking in every
shadow and it, in turn, separates us from people who we should not in fact
be separating ourselves from.  I have said many times I seek not to use my
words to topple an empire; I seek an empire to topple my words."

No. That is NOT your intention, as has been stated previously. Your
intention is to cause division in a group that you and your friends, for
whatever reason, are unhappy about. You are speaking out of both sides of
your mouth, my lady, and you cannot have it both ways. In my personal
experience, if you want to change something, you don't shout from the
rooftops that people are beneath you and are cruel, mean, or unworthy. You
seek ways to change it from within by being an example for all. You don't go
around preaching rebellion. And as for the period aspect of this little
game, let me say that if you were in my Kingdom (and yes, even in Japan),
your actions would be viewed as treason. Let me speak plainly: You and your
group are committing treason. Sure, talk with those in power about things
that YOU (and not others, for you have no power to speak for others) feel
should be changed. Volunteer to help change those aspects of the game. But
the way you and your group is going about this would be counted as treason.
It is a dangerous road you tread, my lady, whether this is a game or not.

" As for the word we have used many times: War.  We are not declaring war
upon anyone.  We are declaring war on the things that keep attempting to
destroy us all as a whole; the IDEA of dissent and unhappiness that seems to
be seeping in through the cracks.  If this is not enough to convince you
then I suggest you watch us closely.  Only by our actions can we truly be
seen for what we are, and what we are is far from destructive."

I beg to differ. The whole purpose of your group is division and
destruction. I see no constructive ideas on how to change, only that you are
unhappy and seek to change the game to the way YOU want to play it. Last I
checked, this was not YOUR game. This is OUR game.

"(Now, on a more personal note: I choose to associate with Her Grace Willow
de Wisp because I respect her and her part in creating/molding this kingdom
and Dream.  I for one do not care if anyone questions my motives due to my
associations.  I mean no disrespect; I simply seek to clarify.)"

That is your choice, and it is not for me to say whom you should associate
with nor should you allow anyone to dictate whom you should or should not
associate with.

I suggest you think long and hard about the whys and manner of how you all
are going about this. I can guarantee that if you and your group continue
with this idea of division and rebellion, it will only serve to cause more
heartache and will not achieve your goal of "unity".

Ever in service to Kingdom and Crown,
Lady Eleanor Cleavely
faithful servant of the KINGDOM of Ansteorra and the Barony of Elfsea

--
"Mine honor is my life; both grow in one;
take honor from me and my life is done."

Ego existo obstinantus - I am resolved

Reluctor ultum , pareo parum - Resist much, obey little