[Elfsea] Having left the kingdom for a week

Sandra Geil alexsandraeryn at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 15 19:30:33 PDT 2008

After a harrowing week as sole parent in residence
     (during the final week of school - beginning with 5 am shuttle service to the airport and
     ending with graduation on Saturday at the same time as the Library Demo)
we went out of the kingdom on a fishing trip
     (Montauk State Park in Southeast Missouri is a great place to get away from
     everything - no cell service, period).

I came home to an inundation of digest messages in my in-box on both the Ansteorra and Elfsea lists. Those messages took the better part of a day and a half to read
     (though I admit to skimming some of the cross posts).

Having personally been involved (read as wrongly accused) in a time of trouble involving a he said she said -- that she did not say-- in the Middle Kingdom
     (part of why I will not name my place or origin - though it is also the "home" shire of
     Duke Edmund of Hertford (the person who brought me into the SCA and the 'herald
     who helped create my arms) and Viscount Belrix and Viscountess Prisim of Blue Rose
     (my SCA foster parents) who now reside in Northshield).

I felt I should share some advice also (puts on teacher hat)

1. Praise publicly - If you think someone is doing a decent, good, or great job, bring on the word-fame!

2. Criticize, chastise, identify problems in PRIVATE. Most of the members of the Barony have e-mail listed on the Elfsea Website or in the Domesday List if not in their messages.

3. If, after an attempt at private conversation, you still feel that your concerns are not addressed, seek a mediator to continue the discussion in person.

One of the difficulties we face in the cyber middle ages is that it is too easy to snap off a reply. Please think about what you are saying and proof read you message BEFORE you send it. (This will also afford the opportunity to remove the extra bits that the e-mail gremlins add to replys)

On a lighter note - that Skippy List was too funny - though I am glad not to have personally experienced number 162 in any form....

al AERYN