[Elfsea] Issues at hand

Lady Caitrina Caitrina at starwarsguide.net
Fri May 30 09:45:51 PDT 2008

Good morning.

Now that the list seems to be working again.  I will add my voice to the discussions.

I still consider my self as being new to the SCA and therefore can see
issues with new blood
where experience blinds us.

1, Warlord and other recent events have ended at the 4pm court.  Because
we are only
willing to travel a couple of hours, home is close and easy to leave at
that point.  I left
unexpectedly early from Warlord this year.  I had planned to stay until Monday
morning.  However, at
5pm on Sunday, everything was over and there wasn't ANYTHING planned
after
that to keep
me.  I watched as most of the tents came down and residence left.  Not
wanting to be the
only ones left at camp again, I also left and was home before dark.  Not
really worth pulling
out the whole kit for just one night.  Because of this I may consider
day
tripping even
Warlord.  It was actually disappointing.

My favourite event so far was the DFT Guardian in 2007.  The evening
potluck dinner after
dark on the tourney field with the finals of the bardic competition was
treat!  Even the
auction was great!

2, There is a lack of cohesiveness.  We need an Elfsea populas camp
'Mom'.
I like the idea
of an Elfsea group camp at EVERY local event.  Perhaps a BIG banner for
us
to rally under?
(A populace banner.) The offer of camping together at Warlord was not
clear to me, I am
sorry I missed that.

I know that several of us have started sewing together and plan to make bling for elfsea.
This will help the feeling of being part of the group.  Banners,
banners,
banners especially
ELFSEA banners!

3,  Ideas for 'dead time'.  Well this only mildly applies.  I would like
to see a communal
dinning area.  Just tables set up where we can bring our own food and
sit
with others instead
of isolated in our own tent or click.  This will help new people from
being unwittingly shunned.  Of course an Elfsea camp would solve this.

Not necessarily a potluck, but that would be great too!

4, Fighter Practice.  I find Sunday practice frustrating.  Often I miss
it, or show up when it was
cancelled.  When I manage to hit it, I only find it by knowing faces.
Where's the banner?
A simple pop-up with an Elfsea banner would help.  It gives a sense of
group, and allows
newcomers to find us.  I like the idea of making more of it, especially
on those
weekends when
there isn't an event nearby.

5, Highland Games.  I chose not to respond for the free tickets back on
May 1st.  I pay my
way in anyway.  I will be going even if Elfsea does not.  Volunteers do
not usually make solid
plans 5 weeks out with several events in between.  Then next time I
heard
anything about it,
it was cancelled.  The only thing I can grasp is that we lost faith that
people will come
through. From what I have seen, Elfsea people will step up to the task
when the time comes.
More reminders and requests might help.

I hope my comments further the discussion and do not cause hurt feelings.

Lady Caitrina