[Elfsea] Highland games and Elfsea

Deana Covel Whitney dmcovel79 at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 20:11:17 PDT 2008

Greetings,

I've just read the list for the last hour and have a
few things to add.

1) I always saw the Highland Games demo as a way to
fulfill the "educational" aspect of the SCA's
non-profit status. Maybe it just got too big. Maybe we
just lost the fun of it.  Namron has a similar demo in
Oklahoma, the Norman Medieval fair. It was my first
encounter with the SCA, but like many other people it
was several years later before I joined.
 The demo takes the effort of an event. Unfortunately
is has become an event few like to participate in.
I've   been around a few years, but not long enough to
know what went wrong or how to fix it.
  Ceatta, you are right, we have upset the fair
committee and will not be welcome back. But the hard
decision was made by the B&B and we all must live with
the consequences. I also think everyone never realized
we would have to pull back last minute.

2) There are plenty of central regional events. There
are a ton of autumn events. It's hard to find an empty
weekend in the calender. Maybe too many events is the
overall problem. But almost everything is a
Tournament.
  Maybe a College will draw people because it is
something different. I know a few fighters that
actually enjoy the chance to not have to fight at an
event. Let's try for "something different." Maybe that
will renew the populous "excitement" and "bring the
fun back."
 Personally I would not want to have the college
before Gulf Wars. In February is Kingdom A&S, which
could be around the corner or 8 hours away. I also
really love Candelmas, in part because of the classes
and dancing, in part because of the great court
ambiance. I think many people limit themselves to two
events a month, or less depending on their situation
(gas prices or real-life commitments).
  The "get authorized event" is a great idea for
getting paperwork down, but can it be a fun event?  We
might be able to make it fun, or would people rather
track down their local authorizing person at a home
town practice? (No, I'm not a fighter or an archer, so
I don't know how hard it is to get authorized. I'm
throwing out a question.)

3) Or should we try a "get authorized" Sunday
practice? Maybe try to re-energize Sunday practice by
doing many things once a month. Make one practice a
month a 4 hour event. Dance class, A&S, fighting
drills, bardic practice, heraldic review, etc? No
stress, no site fees, no pressure. A pot luck of fun.
New people who found us on the internet able to find
us because there are people gathered together.  This
way those who can't drive to a Monday night thing,
might be able to feel part of the barony.
   Or maybe we make it a special thing  when there is
a Fifth Sunday in the calender. That happens about
once a quarter.

Thoughts to generate ideas, not fights.

In Service,
 Hanna