[Elfsea] My Absences from Events of Late

vmarsh at twmarsh.net vmarsh at twmarsh.net
Fri May 9 15:51:42 PDT 2008

My Lords, Ladies and Gentles, I'd like to apologize for my absence from events for the last year or so.

It's been a very strange and stressful year for our family, starting with my great pratfall down the stairs that resulted in a badly broken ankle, foot, and big toe on the other foot. The plate and screws that were put in to fix the ankle in May 07 had to be removed in Nov 07.

Which resulted in the discovery of nodules on my thyroid.

So, after the biopsy of the thyroid, I had the right lobe of the thyroid removed in March 08. An inconclusive diagnosis of cancer caused the second surgery in April to remove the rest of the thyroid, which was followed by a definitive diagnosis of Papillary Thyroid Cancer and Hashimotos. Not a terrible cancer to have, but still....cancer.

I was treated with Radioactive Iodine and am now back at work, happily finishing up the school year as well as another class in grad school. I'm still working towards a Masters in Library Science and hope to finish this summer. My husband is also finishing his law degree this summer and one son will be graduating (we hope) from high school in 3 weeks.

So, suffice this to say that I have missed you all terribly and hope to be able to start attending events more often. For those who have kept up with my blog and dropped me a line now and then, you have no idea how much your words have meant to me.

I have had 2 stalwart friends who have stood by my side during this time - HL Arabella, who drove me to the hospital for my last surgery when my husband couldn't be there and drove me back and forth after the RAI treatment; and HL Donnel, who called me almost every day to check on me and made sure I was cared for.

My apprentices and protege's have kept me company on line and by phone. HL Tadgh also has called me regularly and made me a very proud Laurel with his recent achievements in the Arts and Sciences, especially this last weekend at Elfsea SpringFaire.

My SCA family and friends have meant the world to me and I just wanted to let you all know of their kindness during this time of difficulty to me. All in all, I have been truly blessed.

Thank you,

Xene Theriane, OL, OP, CB, etc.
mka Vicki Marsh