[Elfsea] SCA month

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Tue Oct 21 20:15:08 PDT 2008

I was just reminded this is SCA awareness month! Make everyone aware of the
SCA! No, wait. They meant Sudden Cardiac Arrest. Oh. Never mind.

OK, think of taking a first aid and CPR course. The Chirurgeons arrange for
them to be taught at Round Table and various other events at nominal costs
($20 or less for the pair of courses). Or call the Red Cross or American
Heart Association for their course schedules.

If you have a serious medical emergency, it will probably be the people near
you who will or will not save your life. You may save your kids or parents.
My kids were trained from age 10 so they could save me, if necessary. The
ambulance crew, dedicated and well trained though they may be, averages
about 10-12 minutes for response time and statistics show you lose 10% of
your chance to survive a treatable SCA for each minute of delay in getting a
shock from an AED. CPR stretches that time period out considerably so there
is time for the EMTs or Paramedics to get there with the AED. And if it's
been years since your last course, the procedures have changed because we
have learned what works better than what we used to do.

SCA awareness. Good idea.

Caelin on Andrede (who in the spirit of transparency should point out most
of the Chirurgeon sponsored courses are taught by wonderful volunteer
instructors working for my company at about my cost)