[Elfsea] Notes from Business Meeting

Deana Covel Whitney dmcovel79 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 26 16:02:39 PDT 2008

Hello All,

 Here are the notes from the meeting if you missed it, but want to know what's going on.

Enjoy,
 Hanna

Elfsea Business Meeting – 10/20/2008

B&B Report –

Arlington Demo when great!  Thanks to everyone who attended and helped.

Just signed the paperwork to change our PED to First weekend in April, Second weekend is the alternative.

Good: will be the first tournament for people who don’t get to go to Gulf in 6 weeks.

Bad: Will sometimes be against Easter & some who do go to Gulf will not come to event.

New Fall event will be a “Fall Festival.” Getting autocrats lined up for this.

Next year Steppes Artisan will be an Off-calender event.

We are trying to work with them to have a 2 for 1 event of Steppes Artisan & Elfsea Baronial College .  This will not be a regional event, but two events for one price.  The artisans and judges will be in one room, the college in others.  Can still bill this as an “Get authorized for fall tourney season & SCA 101” event.  If this doesn’t work out, the Baronial College might happen over the course of a few Sunday fighter practices.

            The Finical Committee would be pre-set and the budget would be pre-determined by them so an autocrat could follow it easily.  If held at UTA cost would be very low and a great event for a first time or less experience autocrat.

There will be lots of awards at 12th Night. The schedule will be closely followed.  The awards from Defender have rolled to 12th Night. If you have recommendations for other awards get them in ASAP.

The December Party:

This year the only Business will be B&B giving away some of the Rights typically given at Dragonsfire Tor.

Want to have more of a social / cocktail hour, instead of dinner foods, try to bring finger foods that people can walk around with.

Want to jazz it up a bit – bring out table decorations and such.

Boy Scout Demo – Nov. 15 – Saturday of Queens – Hugh Opportunity

Camporee a once in every 5 year event for the Boy Scouts.

They are expecting between 7-10 Thousand people!!!  They have invited many reenactment groups: Civil War, Vikings, Indians, and more besides the SCA.

Set up on Friday night, but IF you camp – it MUST be Period.  All mundane items must remain hidden. Expect yourself to be inspected at 360 degrees, not by the SCAers, but by the Boy Scouts and other groups.

Archery is part of the demo, we will have a Hugh area

Need Every type of SCAer represented: fighters, artisans, support, kids boffers, etc.

Elaine & Genevieve are the Coordinators.

NOTE:  We must be careful how we talk about the other Reenactment groups and how the SCA compares. They are Historical Re-enactors who re-create history; we are a group who is inspired by historic ideals but create our own history.

Example:

Good:  The SCA’s rules regarding authenticity are a bit more relaxed than Group X because we cover a larger time period and geographical areas.  Group X is a great group and their focus allows them to concentrate their studies.

Not: Group X is a bunch of accuracy obsessed crazy people who go over the same historic events all the time.

BAM –

Rua is taking her trailer (6x12 ft enclosed) and will be loading it up after the Boy Scout Demo.

If you want something taken to BAM in her trailer, because you have no or little room, contact her soon and have your stuff ready on that day.

Taverns – Master Calien in charge:

Will be feeding about 300 people a day – Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner

Help is needed, both before and during the event.  Please volunteer.

Coronation –

Making site tokens at Master Calien’s house this weekend, please help with sanding and stamping. Woodworking experience a plus.

Also, will be having a fundraiser lunch of sandwiches if you want to buy lunch rather than bring one to the event.

Seneschal asked which officers needed to speak:

Chronicler –

Get your officer reports in ASAP – mother will be visiting this weekend and she wants it done before her mom gets to the house.

Nov. will have a regular Tidings.

Dec. will have a “Misrule Missive” – so if you have anything odd ball or off the wall you  have researched, written, or just want to share, send it in.  Due the weekend before the December Party.

If there is interest, she will create a CD of the year’s worth of Tidings - Available to anyone for the cost of the CD.

Historian –

Plans to Scan all the photos she has available and put them on a CD.  Copies of the CDs will got to B&B and Historian’s files incase something happens to either copy.

Looking for History – stories, photos, old news letters, etc.  Files from past Historian’s are scattered and need to be collected.

Is a Teacher at Everman H.S. – Hopes to have an “King Arthur Day” next March or April. Would like help from the Barony as a demo.

Archery –

Had our first practice – it went great!  21 people, 12 archers

Have the Boy Scout camp for the next 2 years for practice, potential for using it for events depending on how the relationship progresses..

Gavin the Younger had the highest score

Caelin the younger has a beautiful purple arm which she had to explain at school on Monday.

Rapier Marshal – sent via M. Caelin

Thinking of moving rapier practice to archery practice on those Sundays it happens. So far there has been no official Rapier activities in Elfsea in a while.

Exchequer – acting

Budget has to be sent in November!

            So we spent the rest of the meeting going over the budget and elected Daniel, the archery Marshal as the newest “Member at Large” for the Finical Committee.

Only major change from last year is an increased amount for the Archery marshal so he can buy some new target stands.

Seneschal Report –

First, there is a new Chamberlain – HL Hanna von Dahl

All officers are to send their reports to the Elfsea Officers Yahoo List when they send it to their Regional officers.  This will get it to all the right people at the same time.

Asked about the next three meetings and where to host – B&B requested the honor again.