[Elfsea] 1. Re: Bear pit vs. melee vs. regular tourney

eleanor cleavely whiteoakbard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 17:47:56 PDT 2009

Well, it depends on the pas, really. Here is a great website about pas de
armes (written by Sior Briand):

http://www.chronique.com/Library/Tourneys/pasessay.htm

Other great websites:
http://www.princeton.edu/~ezb/rene/renehome.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pas_d'Armes

The nice thing about the pas is that it allows for many different weapons
styles (which the fighters love), gives the heralds a stage on which to
really show their stuff, and allows for many displays of chivalry, courtesy,
and honor. It's freaking awesome when done properly. I would love to see us
do a proper pas de armes for a tournament or maybe even a Defender
tournament.

Eleanor

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 6:35 PM, De Clark <gandalf_104 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  In that tournament format... what arms are you passing?  Just curious.
>
> Ulf Nach dem Tor,
> Whose French is terrible.
>

> > Methinks Lord Cathal has it spot on!
> >
> > As a spectator and former fighter (what? I've fought...once....), I like
> the
> > one-on-one traditional tourneys. Why? Because of the opportunities for
> > heraldry, pomp and circumstance. My favorite types of tourneys are pas de
> > arms. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE pas de arms because it's the type of
> tournaments
> > that would have happened during my time period.
> >
> > We don't have to do melees and snowballs all the time...let's have a pas
> > once in a while! I remember a long time ago (at least seven or eight
> years
> > ago) when we would have a pas de arms to choose the Baronial Guard. Why
> > don't we do this anymore? Why don't have pas de arms period anymore?
> >
> > That might be something to try...
> >
> > Just my two pence...whatever they're worth today,
> > Lady Eleanor Cleavely
> > lover of loudmouth heralds, pomp & circumstance...

"Mine honor is my life; both grow in one;
take honor from me and my life is done."
--William Shakespeare

Ego existo obstinantus - I am resolved

Reluctor ultum , pareo parum - Resist much, obey little