[Elfsea] blacksmithing demo this Saturday in Plano

Duncan Hepburn duncan at stormypetrel.org
Wed Aug 5 11:42:17 PDT 2009

Master Eisen is demo'ing how to make damascus steel.

On Saturday August 8th, 2009 the NTBA (North Texas Blacksmithing
Association), a chapter of ABANA (Artist-Blacksmith Association of North
America) will have it's monthly meeting hosted at the Plano Heritage
Farmstead Museum.

>From the NTBA website:

Resident blacksmith Kelly Kring will demonstrate making damascus. A
description from Kelly -"I will be teaching basics of pattern welded
damascus in both a historical and modern method. I will talk about how
to choose metals combinations and also explain four basic types of
patterning. The only thing I will talk about but will not be able to
demonstrate will be forging with Gas, a hydraulic press and true art
patterning with a tube, rod, and metal powders. Afterwards, I will
demonstrate two of the patterns from scratch. This will take about two
hours of forge time. We will be using a striker volunteer and myself for
one style, and the power hammer for the second. The two pieces that we
create will then be put up for auction at Hammerfest to benefit the
NTBA. I will have a handout with a list of web sites and books that go
into good how-to details of making Damascus for those who want to pursue
it more."

NTBA website: http://home.flash.net/~dwwilson/ntba/
ABANA website: http://www.abana.org/
Heritage Farmstead Museum website: http://www.heritagefarmstead.org/

The demonstration starts at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday and runs until 11:30
or noon.

Farmstead Museum address:
1900 West 15th Street, Plano, Texas 75075

Map to Farmstead Museum:
http://home.flash.net/~dwwilson/ntba/farmstead.jpg

This is not an SCA demo, so no period clothing is required. It'll be
outdoors, so dress comfortably. There is no site fee to attend the demo.