[Elfsea] European SCA, more authenticity.

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 15 08:46:18 PST 2009

> Castle Frankenstein? Ok, I'm jealous.
>
> Faelan

Yeah. It's pretty small, as castles go, but there is a cool

restaurant and it is a hotel. So you can stay there.

I was too far away and far too busy when I was stationed

in Europe to play in the SCA over there. I just attended the

one event. But it is definately very cool. I remember seeing

someone's blog where an event was held at a castle and the

archery competition was shooting at targets through the

arrow slits. That sounds neat.

But the point is that we don't need castles to make the SCA

more authentic. Let's work on our garb, armor, campsites and

field pavillions. Try to ditch the sunglasses and soda cans.

Research on what stuff your personna would use and try

to get more. There are a lot of merchants now who are putting

out some wonderful reproduction goods. Just wearing the

correct shoes or even drinking out of a correct mug helps

the ambience.  Little things build up to a big picture.

Gunthar