[Elfsea] Elfsea Digest, Vol 38, Issue 11

willowjonbardc at juno.com willowjonbardc at juno.com
Sat Jul 4 22:07:13 PDT 2009

To Lord Crandal
Lord Crandal with all due respect I took your advise and stopped talking on the list about things because my dissension was hurting the people. Your wisdom made me see that if I as a responsible member of the SCA was causing someone to  respond in a negative way than I needed to remove myself from the situation.
You taught me a valuable lesson in courtesy and reminded me that our list is an open forum and many potential members are on the list. For the good of the SCA we should be "nice" to each other on the public list.
Please remember that for some of us the Highland Games was a fun and valuable part of the SCA experience and we haven't found a replacement yet. I am sure the Fools Court was the same for some people.  My sons liked gaming tents and I liked Ladies Pavilions. There are many many things that have been discontinued over the years. The Elfsea parade, the special ceremonies for making the Queen of Love and Beauty, the Fools Feast, Dancing on the Green and  the Culture Camps just to mention a few things Axed over the years. We have cut things out of our agenda in Elfsea because whoever was in power didn't find them worth while.
These cuts have taken away from someone each time and standardly the group have told people to just live with it. Each time we did that we lost people. I know it was 2 here and 3 here but after a while they added up. I think all of you will agreed that we could use those people now. I know I could.
I think we should change our ways. Yes, every once in a while we have to not do something because there is  not enough interest now. I think we should allow the people who lost their fun games to express their feelings now and again. I would rather have the person grumpy on the list than gone. A lot of people told to "deal with it" have just left.
I also think all of us should help them find something else that fills that hole. As long as the hole is there the people will be unhappy and unhappy people are not fun.
Many times I have been told that Elfsea is a Family and Family member spat at each other but family also helps    each other and I think all of us should think about the other members of the group and think about what we can do to make them happy.
Dear Crandal you taught me this and again Thank you for putting me back on my path.
Yours with Love
The Old Woman of Ansteorra
Duchess Willow