[Elfsea] Bard of Elfsea competition format

eleanor cleavely whiteoakbard at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 07:16:47 PDT 2009

Your Grace,

Good day to you! I understand what you are saying about memorizing an
earlier form of English. As an English major, I've had to memorize portions
of *Beowulf* (Old English) and *The Canterbury Tales* (Middle English).
However, if you read the competition guidelines, you will see that there is
absolutely NO requirement to recite any piece in any language other than
Modern English. I would never dream of having that as a requirement for a
titled competition, no matter the difficulty level of the participants.

I hope this helps to clear up the questions you have. I also hope you do not
mind me posting your question and my answer publicly. As a teacher at a
local high school, it is my philosophy that if one person speaks up and asks
a question, at least three others are wondering the same thing. If you have
any additional questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Ever in humble service with a song and a smile,
Lady Eleanor Cleavely
Bard of Elfsea
Descendant of the White Oak

--
"Mine honor is my life; both grow in one;
take honor from me and my life is done."

Ego existo obstinantus - I am resolved

Reluctor ultum , pareo parum - Resist much, obey little