[Elfsea] Additional information on Canterbury Tales

eleanor cleavely whiteoakbard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 04:11:54 PDT 2009

Good morning, Your Grace.

If I am reading your question correctly: if you're wanting to recite a tale
in Modern English, you would have to have a translation of the poem. There
are many translations available, both in print and on-line. The best on-line
one I have found is here: www.canterburytales.org . It offers both the
Middle English and the Modern translation side-by-side. Again, the bardic
piece is NOT required to be in any language other than Modern English,
unless you so desire it to be. Should you desire to recite it, say, in
French, please be so kind as to provide an English translation for us
Barbarians who speak nothing but English. :o)

Here are a few other sites that may assist you:

<http://books.google.com/books?id=y6INAAAAYAAJ&dq=canterbury+tales&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=HD8GnECDn2&sig=OZq-egAtPjgkN1hZ9-nEIifwv0A&hl=en&ei=ZthRSvC1DIOltgfF9fXPDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7>

   -
   http://books.google.com/books?id=y6INAAAAYAAJ&dq=canterbury+tales&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=HD8GnECDn2&sig=OZq-egAtPjgkN1hZ9-nEIifwv0A&hl=en&ei=ZthRSvC1DIOltgfF9fXPDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7-
online book of the tales
   - http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/webcore/murphy/canterbury/ - the
   second-best CT website I've ever used.
   - http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2383 - This is a free download of the
   entire tales from Gutenberg.

As far as whether you must recite it in poetic form, no, that is not a
requirement. However, should you decide to, that would be fantastic. We have
far too little poetry in this world as it is. I feel the Tales are enhanced
by the poetic form they were written in. Please do not think, though, that
if you do not recite the Tale in poetic form that you will be penalized,
because you will not. I would like the audience and Their Excellencies to be
entertained. That is the point of the office of the Bard, is it not?

One other thing I would like to speak to with regards to your previous email
and whether this requirement is too difficult: If you don't challenge
someone, how can you expect them to improve and grow in their Art? I created
the requirements of this competition to challenge Elfsea's Bards. We all
have room to grow as Artisans, and I would hope the requirements of the
competition would allow a Bard to rise to that challenge.

Hopefully, this information will assist you further. Again, I do hope you
don't mind me publicly posting as this information may help other bards. If
I may be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Ever in service with a song and a smile,
Lady Eleanor Cleavely
Bard of Elfsea
Descendant of the White Oak

--
"Mine honor is my life; both grow in one;
take honor from me and my life is done."

Ego existo obstinantus - I am resolved

Reluctor ultum , pareo parum - Resist much, obey little