[Elfsea] TONIGHT, Monday, June 15: How the SCA Works: Student / Teacher Relationships

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Sun Jun 14 22:59:53 PDT 2009

You're invited to Robin and Serena's house at 7:00 p.m on Monday, June 15th
for this month's discussion in our "How the SCA Works" series:

SCA STUDENT / TEACHER RELATIONSHIPS

We will discuss the squires, apprentices, proteges and other unofficial
training positions in the SCA.  How it works, what it is (and isn't), how
you become one, what it means, what are the similarities and differences,
etc.

Since we certainly don't know it all, we're also inviting others to make it
a panel discussion, because each type of relationship is different and each
relationship is different.  Please come by and add your comments,
experiences and questions.

ABOUT THE SERIES "How the SCA Works":

The SCA is a co-operative game.  It works because we all work together and
play together.

This leads to an obvious question - how does it work, and what can you do
to become a bigger part of it?

Every month, Robin and Serena will take one aspect of the SCA and discuss
how it's supposed to work, how it really does work, and how you can be part
of it.  Topics will include the social structure, the award system, the
officers, how events work, and other topics to be chosen based on the
suggestions of the attendees.

But it's not about our one way.  The crucial thing to understand is that
nobody understands the entire SCA, and there are lots of good ways to work
and play within it.  To misquote Michael Straczinski, our job isn't to give
definitive answers.  Our job is to ask questions and open discussions and
start bar fights.

Come join the argume ... err, the discussion.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin
Serena Lascelles / Diane Rudin

Use your favorite online mapping gizmo to locate us at:

7135 Vinland St.
Dallas, TX  75227-1829

214-663-2326 (Serena's cell)

Please note that the online mapping gizmos are not totally accurate -- they
ALL come up with a house halfway down the block from us.  Once you are on
Vinland Street, go by the numbers posted on the houses, not the online
"street view".  Look for the house in the middle of the block with a rose
garden including a small statue of St. Francis.

Please be careful when crossing the construction zone around our
neighborhood -- the road is torn up, and if you're not careful, your car
will be, too.

Allergy warning:  we have a cat.