[Elfsea] OT - The new Star Trek Movie

Ceatta o Gulcleth ceatta at flash.net
Sat May 9 17:45:43 PDT 2009

It doesn't matter if you go into the Star Trek movies with foreboding at
what J.J. Abrams has done to your beloved characters or not, when you walk
out you will be remembering Alexander Courage's theme. This is one movie
that delivers and keeps on delivering.
Sure, there is the old faithful "time distortion," but it makes sense in
this movie (unlike it did in so many episodes of spin-offs Star Trek:
Voyager and Enterprise). And it also makes sense that Kirk is not here,
because in time that set all this in motion, he had already died. Spock
(called "Spock Prime" in the credits) is still where we last saw him, on
Romulus, and it his actions that lead to what follows.
I won't give away the story line (most people can find out about it on the
Internet somewhere), nor would I recommend reading too much about it, but I
will say this: the casting of Pine, Quinto, and Urban as Kirk, Spock, and
McCoy (respectively) was admirable. In a number of shots you could see their
older selves being reflected, as well as in their mannerisms and speech.
They hit the nail on the head.
And, finally, in the way the storyline is carried out, the universe is just
opening up for what promises to be nothing more than an bold new start to
the exploration of "Space .the Final Frontier."
And, when you go, stay for the ending credits and listen to an updated
version of Courage's theme that lay behind all the end credits of the
television show.
So, boldly go to your local theater and watch the movie of the summer (if
not the decade).
Ceatta
(I wrote this as I listened to the soundtrack - it also is nothing less than
stiring and fitting to the movie.)