[Elfsea] Musings and Observations from Warlord

Marilyn Wolffe mmdswolffe at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 1 11:32:12 PDT 2010

Thank you for sharing all the wonderful pictures from Warlord, it was a wonderful event. I was one of the best times I have had. I appreciate all the hard work everyone on put in on it.But the was a common element missing.

I am the worlds worst photographer--We see over and over again pictures of fighters, artisans, rapiers, archers and bystanders. But the thing wrong with these are-they are adult. I know for a fact that we had a GREAT turn out for the youth boffer tourney, not that many would know because MOST pavilions were empty. Archery was small but there were  young people shooting. I do not say children because the youth of ansteoora were competing just as hard as the OLD youth of  Ansteorra. They was even a ravine battle going on at one time. Just as the grown children, some were in some basic grab but others were decked out. But there was no pictures of the youth at play, hundreds of adults at play thought. I have been in the SCA for 5 years, when I can afford time and money I give as much as I can. I have had my background check and have taught youth classes and done youth activities. As a single mom I have taught my children what I can. There are peerage that
 walk around, and ignore or look down on our youth. I heard one person wearing a white belt, comment about the children running around like wild Indians, that some one should take them in hand(for once they weren’t my wild Indians).  But then I also seen a red belt take a group of youth in hand and had an impromptu page lesson. Yes the Mistresses, Masters, Knight and Don’s have earned the right of honor and respect which they deserve. BUT you are a VAST store house of knowledge, experience and skills. There are a lot that do take the time for our future but others look to the children as an annoyance. How many of you have forgotten that they are are future!!! They are living the Dream just as you.

There were postings of the winners of the adult events but none for the youth.

I say Vivat to all the hard working Ansteorran Youth!!! Vivat our future!

Thank you-I will get off my soap box now. If someone could cross post to the Steppes list,please.

Lady Meriyan der Grat
Mother to :
Lady Anika der Grat(holder of an Ansteorran Rising Star)
Wolfhart der Grat(holder of an Ansteorran Rising Star)
Matiue the Hero