[Elfsea] All-Con 2010 After Action Review

William Meriic wmeriic at tx.rr.com
Wed Mar 24 07:24:33 PDT 2010

Good Day,

I promised everyone that I would post the results of All-Con 2010.
Unfortunately, we are still seeing the results as we continue to be
contacted by new people.  But, it was a great success in all, and some
incredibly helpful people need to be known.

A quick recap:

This year we decided to try to be "interactive" by offering activities
throughout the day that catered to the demographic of the con.  This idea
started when Christiana (Liz) brought leather and tools to the Lewisville
library to keep her kids busy.  She decided to let the dozens of kids
attending the demo play with them too, and it was a hit.

Throughout the weekend we offered: pouch making, scroll painting, kumihimo,
and embroidery.

We also offered classes specifically designed for the con crowd: Irish
dancing, belly dancing, Viking nit [sic] jewelry making, and of course, and
introduction to the SCA.

And finally we held three of our ever popular fighting demos.

The results:

Simply, we were overwhelmed by the response.  Our dealer table was packed
all weekend long.  At some times it was overflowing.  I didn't think there
would be much of a demand for embroidery, but there were several who spent
an hour or so working with Susanna.  Our dancing classes were well attended,
although we learned not to schedule Irish dance so early in the morning.
And our fighter demos saw over 115 spectators.  Even the con organizers
complemented us several times on our results.

I will have a more detailed report, including returns on investment, at the
Steppes' business meeting in April.  Please attend or contact me if you
would like more information.

A VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:

Above all else, though, I need to thank some people, and you need to know
who these people are.  Due to the overwhelming response we received, all of
these people worked their butts off all weekend long (I am talking
event-steward grade running around) through hangovers and exhaustion to keep
up with this demand and make the SCA look amazing (presented in no
particular order):

Viviana - for helping me co-organize and co-run this "mess".
Fiacha - for fighting and his immense "presence".
Grainne - for fighting and the Irish dance class.
Layla - for coming in around her busy pre-war schedule to give a belly
dancing class.
Aurelia - for running the tables all day Saturday with no break.
Susanna (the Herbalist) - for trucking her beautiful A&S display and manning
the tables for two days with not-enough-breaks.
Christiana, Duncan, and their kids - for running the leatherworking and the
tables.
Lindsay - for her Viking NIT class.
Aleric - for fighting and marshaling.
Charles (de d'Alsace) - for fighting.
Fearadhach (MacCongail . AKA Doc) - for fighting.
Jeff (Alessandro) and Chelsea - for gracing our presence with beautiful
music.

And finally congratulations to Elizabethe de Salisbury (Heather) for winning
1st place in period costume at the All-Con costume contest.

If I forgot anyone, it was only due to the large quantities of alcohol I
consumed that weekend.  Someone let me know ASAP so I can correct the
injustice.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!!

Will Meriic