[Elfsea] Arlington Library demo

Sandra Geil alexsandraeryn at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 19:51:46 PDT 2010

With a request of indulgence if this missive reaches you more than once...

Excerpt from the library flier:

     Hear Ye !  Hear Ye !  One and All !
     Thou art hereby invited to attend our 8th Annual
     Medieval Arts Festival
     as history comes to life at

     the George W. Hawkes Central Library
     101 East Abram Street
     Arlington Texas               76010

     on Saturday, October 30, 2010
     from 12:00 - 5:00 pm.

     Activities:
     Exhibits of medieval arts, sciences and entertainment*
     Demonstrations of realistic ancient weaponry**
     Members of the Society for Creative Anachronism will assume
    authentic identities and costumes of the time period.***
     Medieval storytime and craft activities for children

                    * This is us--
                         ** And us again--
                              *** Wait for it...us again--

Will you come do your part?

We need to provide:
     Artisans
     Combatants
     Displays
     Information
     Good Cheer

Added information as of today....

The walk-through went well. I had the able aid of Dan Alaric and Baron Crandall. Anything brilliant is told off to them. All errors are my own.

The Arlington Library [like much of north Arlington] is experiencing some growth. We will have to try some new ideas this year. The greatest changes are listed here...

1. The area outside which had been the location of the martial demonstrations in the location of a new memorial honoring World War II Veterans.
-----so when we arrive on site the combatants will choose between a
     concrete plaza outside at the front of the library [Abram Street
     side]or inside in the lower level community room [often used for
     Rapier practice in the cooler months].

-----In either case, please be prepared with appropriate footwear [and, if
     you like, practice dramatic yet safe displays for the end of the
     match]

2. The stacks have expanded to take over the left side of the area we re accustomed to use for artisan displays and patron hands on arts. While this is wonderful fr the reading public it means we will be trying a new layout.

-----We have asked for a monitor to use at one of the islands in the
     entrance hall to run the picture slide show [Master Caelin would you
     let me know if you can provide the slideshow please] while keeping the
     source computer protected.

-----I placed some additional items in the round display case today to [one
     hopes] encourage patrons to come talk to us that day. With luck I can
     get the picture from my phone and have it posted on the website...

-----The display of weapons will be in its customary location to the left
     of entrance next to the circulation desk.

-----The row of bench seating next to the bins of AV materials looks like a
     good place for weavers to sit and draw the patrons in to trying their
     hand at the loom or Marudai.

-----There is another section of tables to the north of the fiction
     collection [by the east elevator] where artisans may display and
     demonstrate. There is also the possibility to expand into a third
     table grouping on the southwest side of the library if there are
     enough artisans.

3. Several members of the Medieval and Renaissance Society at UTA may also be on hand to lend a hand. Please do nurture/encourage/incorporate them into the various aspects of the demo [They may want to be a part of us one day].

I have heard from several of you that you will be able to help with the demo. Please keep the information flowing.

If you have not checked in yet please let me know if you plan to attend and what you plan to bring along:

example:
     who:     al AERYN
     what:    looms (two inkle, one frame for patrons to try)
                 Marudai for patrons to try
                 black work, other embroidery projects
                 traveler's box quiz (what here is good as gold?)

For more information, contact al AERYN
[alexsandraeryn at yahoo.com]