[Elfsea] All-Con Demo

Wilkerson, Glen D glen.d.wilkerson at lmco.com
Tue Mar 1 11:12:19 PST 2011

From: Jeffrey Clark [mailto:jmclark85 at gmail.com]
Subject: All-Con Demo

Greetings!

Hello all, my name is Alessandro Zorzi and I have the hounor of coordinating the All-Con demo this year. If you were there last year you I was the guy with the recorders. I have been forwarded a list of all of the people who have volunteered to help, and below you will find a list of what I need. I don't know everyone, and I don't know what ya'll are known for in the society. If you see a need or can think of something LET ME KNOW! Please!

So:

The kumihimo make and take was--from what I saw--a hit last year. Nancy, thank you for stepping up to run that again.

Suzanna, whatever you want to bring as show-and-tell on Sunday, I would love to have it there. If you happen to have some scrap leather that people could make small pouches out of to take home, that would be awesome! Also, herbs for smelling and talking about would be great.

Lord Novak, if you would be willing to spend some of your time doing heraldry, I would greatly appreciate it. Someone last year brought some small cards with different heradric emblems on them and had some paints there for people to paint them. It seemed to be fairly popular. Perhaps different blazons and paints in the colours of the tinctures; I have some paints lying around I would donate to the cause. Also, any handouts you might have on heraldry would be great to pass out to interested person.

If anyone else has something they can do as a make-and-take, let me know. The more Kewl Shtuph we can hand out, the better remembered we will be. Also, if you just have interesting things that you don't mind leaving (under close watch) with us to decorate the table with, those would be appreciated as well.

Classes:

We have four panel discussions we are able to do. I am operating on the maxim "just because you can does not mean you should".

We will have a fighting demo, probably on Friday evening with another one potentially happening on Saturday. I'm not entirely sure what happened last year with the fighting demo; but it wasn't well-received. I would like to do one demo, preferably with a couple (or a trio) of fighters who do both light and heavy fighting to get up there and demonstrate SCA fighting, weapons, and the history behind them. Honestly, I think be we would be better off choreographing Tallhoffer plays and explaining what is going on, rather than just letting fighters go at it in front of an audience.

I do understand that dance classes had a decent turn-out. Is there anyone going who can teach dance (European, County, Middle-Eastern)? Barring that, can anyone teaching hand drumming (and are people able to donate drums to the cause)?

Another option would be to have a mock bardic circle. However, a caveat there, we would want to display period (or period-esq) works; and we would want them to be rehearsed. We want to have fun, but we also want to represent ourselves well. Filk tends to contain a lot of in-side references that someone outside of the SCA won't get. We need to make this as accessible as we can.

Any other ideas are welcome. I will be at the Steppes business meeting if you need to talk to me in person.

One last note:

I shouldn't have to say this, but because of some things that happened last year I am going to remind everyone. If you know you have somewhere to be early the morning during the demon, do not get drunk the night before. Your actions at this demo do not just reflect on yourself, they reflect on the SCA as a whole. This is a fun event; but if you take on an obligation to the group during the event, you need to meet you obligation.

Respectfully,
Alessandro Sorenzo Zorzi