[Elfsea] EXTERNAL: Re: Introduction

Dan Baker lordrhys at gmail.com
Tue May 17 17:23:48 PDT 2011

My good Caelin,

Thank you, and I look forward to meeting them both, as well as the Baron and
Baroness of Steppes.

If I may offer an opinion, and please don't take this as a rebuke, but just
an opinion and a way of looking at things.  so I start I start this next
with IMHO.....

One doesn't earn a peerage, be it Laurel, Knight, or Pelican.  The Crown can
not make a peer.   It is the honor of the Crown to recognize those
individuals who have made of themselves peers.

Many many years ago I approached my Laurel and requested that he take me as
an apprentice.  His response was to ask me a question "Why do You want to be
a Laurel?"  Honestly I was stumped, and I didnt know how to answer that
question, I just had not thought that far ahead.  So about 6 months later I
came back with my answer and became his student, and later his apprentice,
and journeyman.

"I do not want to become a Laurel.  I wish to become what a Laurel is, or
should be, a teacher, a student, a mentor, a friend, a leader, a servant, as
well as an artist.  That is what I seek in an apprenticeship.  If in
learning these things I ever become a Laurel, I will look upon that Great
Honor as what it truly is, a signpost along the path, not an end goal.  That
is a path that will take the rest of my life to walk."

That is my promise to Master Charles Oakley.

-Capten Rhys