[Elfsea] Apolgies

Jackie Saunders alkudsi at aol.com
Wed Sep 28 09:36:38 PDT 2011

I understand, and it may not actually be you personally that was compromised. My home computer has both McAfee and AVG on it, and my work computer is behind a very secure firewall, and my contact lists have been grabbed more than once in the last few months...one time just hours AFTER I changed my password.

One of the latest issues reported is that the so-called secure servers that maintain our contact lists, etc. at a number of different providers have been shown to be vulnerable. It is my understanding that ALL providers are beefing up their OWN security because of this. If you have anti-virus installed with firewall protection, it won't save you from this type of attack because your computer doesn't even need to be on in order for the hackers to get to the contact lists stored elsewhere. I've griped and complained numerous times myself to AOL about the situation. Their response is that they are working on the problem.

If you have protection, change your password at irregular times, and update your protection regularly, you are doing all you can do. While technically harder to do, this is the equivalent of someone sending out Spam snail mail and putting your return address on it.

Saqra