[Elfsea] GULF WAR-In anticipation of my 50th birthday coming in the spring.

Marilyn Wolffe mmdswolffe at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 27 13:50:39 PDT 2011

In anticipation of my 50th birthday coming in the spring.
Since my life has been out of whack for the last couple of years-Job lay-off unemployment, un-able to find a job, broken bones (crushed foot, 13 bones broken, souvenir of Ansteorra’s 30th year event), 3 surgeries, ex-husband dieing, kids moving in an out, been a bit depressed (maybe a little more than a bit).
I have set a goal. My 50th birthday is Gulf Week; I have decided I will be attending. I haven’t decided tent or camper (leaning towards the camper). Even by myself, if I have to. I dug out my sewing machine, I will need warm weather clothing- the boys already said they would not wear anything I make. We may be the most ill dressed family, my sewing skills are limited. If it has buttons holes, then its out. I dug out all my Viking apron dresses, came up with 9, Hubby says if I get one more not “sexy” period dress he will burn it (I do have the typical Scarborough Faire wenching wear, but it’s far from period & most time not SCA appropriate). I do have a sideless surcoate and under dress, that’s is as close to a fitted dress I have.  I have cleavage and curves and he says they needed to be showing off, even now that I have lost weight.
AGAIN MY SEWING SKILLS ARE LIMITED, but I do have a hoard of fabric.
Any ideas for easy coat an cloaks pattern?
Ideas on fitted dresses? Patterns from the top companies, I have been looking at sizes all day. Measurements fall with-in range except on my chest and length, which mean altering.
Budget is limited but again I have a lot of fabric. I do have time, since I am unemployed.
Ideas and help would be greatly appreciated.