[Elfsea] Call for Submissions!!!!!!

Joshua Kemp darthpinkeye at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 11:07:12 PST 2012

I'm not sure how this works with posting stuff from a government website,
so I'll put the info below and let me know how to clean it up, make it
right for you.

Here is a bit of flair to use as a header if desired.

With summer coming early this year, mid January it seems, we did not have a
good freeze.  Be on the look out for swarms of bugs eager to feast on the
smorgasbord that is you.  Below are the recommendations for insect
repellent from the CDC.  As with all advice use common sense and make sure
the recommendations are right for you.

Honorable Lord Centurion Dietrich Wyss, Chirurgeon

Source:  http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/qa/insect_repellent.htm

Topic:  Center for Disease Control insect repellent recommendations

Excerpt:

*Q. Which mosquito repellents work best?
A.* CDC recommends using products that have been shown to work in
scientific trials and that contain active ingredients which have been
registered with the US Environmental Protection Agency
(EPA)<http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/health/mosquitoes/insectrp.htm>for
use as insect repellents on skin or clothing. When EPA registers a
repellent, they evaluate the product for efficacy and potential effects on
human beings and the environment. EPA registration means that EPA does not
expect a product, when used according to the instructions on the label, to
cause unreasonable adverse effects to human health or the environment.

Of the active ingredients registered with the EPA, CDC believes that two
have demonstrated a higher degree of efficacy in the peer-reviewed,
scientific literature (See
Publications<http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/publications.htm#Repellent>page.).
Products containing these active ingredients typically provide
longer-lasting protection than others:

• DEET (N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide)
• Picaridin (KBR 3023)

Oil of lemon eucalyptus [active ingredient: p-menthane 3,8-diol (PMD)], a
plant- based repellent, is also registered with EPA. In two recent
scientific publications, when oil of lemon eucalyptus was tested against
mosquitoes found in the US it provided protection similar to repellents
with low concentrations of DEET.

*Q. How does the percentage of active ingredient in a product relate to the
amount of protection it gives?
A. *Typically, the more active ingredient a product contains the longer it
provides protection from mosquito bites. The concentration of different
active ingredients cannot be directly compared (that is, 10% concentration
of one product doesn’t mean it works exactly the same as 10% concentration
of another product.)

DEET is an effective active ingredient found in many repellent products and
in a variety of formulations. Based on a 2002 study (Fradin and Day, 2002.
See Publications
<http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/publications.htm>page.
):

• A product containing 23.8% DEET provided an average of 5 hours of
protection from mosquito bites.
• A product containing 20% DEET provided almost 4 hours of protection
• A product with 6.65% DEET provided almost 2 hours of protection
• Products with 4.75% DEET were both able to provide roughly 1 and a half
hour of protection.

These examples represent results from only one study and are only included
to provide a general idea of how such products may work. Actual protection
will vary widely based on conditions such as temperature, perspiration, and
water exposure.

Choose a repellent that provides protection for the amount of time that you
will be outdoors. A product with a higher percentage of active ingredient
is a good choice if you will be outdoors for several hours while a product
with a lower concentration can be used if time outdoors will be limited.
Simply re-apply repellent (following label instructions) if you are
outdoors for a longer time than expected and start to be bitten by
mosquitoes.