[Elfsea] FW: Jaelle of Armida

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Sat Mar 2 21:15:33 PST 2013

_______________________________________
From: gabriel-bounce at s-gabriel.org [gabriel-bounce at s-gabriel.org] on behalf of Sara L Uckelman [liana at ellipsis.cx]
Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2013 2:44 AM
To: gabriel at s-gabriel.org
Subject: Jaelle of Armida

It was with great sadness that I read this morning of the death of
Mistress Jaelle of Armida, Laurel Queen of Arms Emerita.

Jaelle was one of the formative parts of my early SCA experience.  She,
along with Master Talan Gwynek, were one set of adoptive SCA parents
when I was still a teenager, and she encouraged me and guided me as I
learned and developed as a herald.  It was she that first cautioned me
against joining the ranks of external commenters, suggesting that I
first spend more time writing internal commentary for other kingdoms –
a practice which I eagerly took up, becoming one of the first to do so
and sparking a trend which is by now almost universal – but when a year
or so later I decided I was ready, she was entirely supportive.

My first visit to Drachenwald was in 2001, when she invited me and
Master Guntram von Wolkenstein, who had been become good friends via
her introduction, to visit her and Johan in Helsinki.  My friends
thought I was crazy to spend spring break in Finland, but not only did
I get to see Guntram, a friend that I’ve only seen two other times, but
I got to have the pleasure of immersing myself in Jaelle’s heraldic
library and spending time with three amazingly learned and knowledgable
heralds.  I went to Drachenwald Crown Tournament, and still have fond
memories of spending most of the event in the kitchen under her watchful
supervision, stirring the most immense pot of pottage I’ve ever seen.
(I felt like I could easily have taken a bath in it, were it filled with
water instead).

Over the years we have had our differences, but never once have I doubted
Jaelle’s dedication to SCA heraldry and her love for what she did.  She
served in the highest offices in the Society, but was happy to contribute
as a simple heraldic clerk.  In fact, she seemed to enjoy nothing more than
“a simple country herald”.

It is with great unhappiness that I have to put these happy memories to
paper.  It is with even more unhappiness doing so having missed the
opportunity to see her last November when Kingdom University was held in
Aarnimetsa; unfortunately, the site was not accommodating to her, and our
travel arrangements didn’t leave us any flexibility.  I know she would have
enjoyed seeing her “daughter” all grown up and wearing a crown, and I’m
very sad that I’ll never see the “mom” who was so instrumental in putting
me on the path that I am today.

-Countess Aryanhwy merch Catmael
Pelican Queen of Arms Emerita and Sans Repose Herald

--
vita sine literis mors est
http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/