[Elfsea] Elfsea food plan

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Tue Mar 5 16:37:17 PST 2013

Gulf War is upon us! I have been dilegently preparing food for the event and would like to extend an invitation for participants to join us for a tasty and mostly healthy group of meals. I'm including the menu below. The price of $9/person/day includes breakfast and supper. You are on your own for lunch. It also covers Monday through Friday. Those on site ealier or later need to plan on eating elsewhere for those days though we will be there Sunday evening and all of Saturday so we may be offering leftovers.

Please contact me at rjt at softwareinnovation.com<mailto:rjt at softwareinnovation.com> to ensure we have your names. If you sent me email and got a response or signed up at Moot, we have you. I love to cook and I'd like to cook for you. If you don't RSVP we may have a few slots available at the site, but I would not want to count on it. You may certainly invite people not lucky enough to call Elfsea home to join the plan. Just have them RSVP.

---- From the previous email ------

I expect to serve breakfast and supper Monday through Friday. The breakfast will be more or less the same every day: eggs (2-3 cooked to order), bacon, juice, oatmeal (with raisins and brown sugar available), and possibly fruit. If you want something different, please let me know and I'll try to accommodate, but no promises.

The supper will consist of a meat dish (see below for a possible schedule), a homemade soup, a salad (greens, fruits, and vegetables), a vegetable (most nights though the soup will usually be a vegetable one), and bread. There may be a dessert some nights, but not most nights. I'm trying for a fairly gourmet menu without a high dollar restaurant price. All items are subject to change, but I don't expect any.

I expect it to cost $9/person/day. I will expect a couple of people to help with prep and a couple of people to help with cleanup each night (I'll handle the breakfast unless someone just wants to help).

Now as to a proposed schedule. Please let me know if you would like a different schedule or different food. I may not be able to accomodate, but I'll try and it cannot hurt to ask. A vegetarian, for instance, could ask for pricing without the meat dishes or some alternate dishes.

Monday-Friday breakfast - as above.
Monday - Supper
Steak cooked sous vide at medium-medium rare finished on the grill
(you are free to cook it on the grill past that point)
expect about 6 oz each, with salt, pepper, and butter.
Tomato Basil cream soup - 1-1.5 cups each (very rich) [tomato, cream, butter, a little sugar, salt, olive oil]
Green leafy salad with grapes, cucumbers, and maybe nuts. Balsamic vinegar and some other dressings.
Cooked carrots.
Bread.

Tuesday - Supper
Chicken breast (about 8-10 oz) grilled with lime juice and sea salt and stuffed with mushrooms, onions,
and cheese (any stuffing item may be witheld at your request in advance)
Carmelized carrot soup - 1-1.5 cups each (also very rich) [carrots, butter, a bit of baking soda, and salt]
Green leafy salad with carrots, cucumbers, and maybe nuts. Balsamic vinegar and some other dressings
Veggie du jour
Bread.

Wednesday - Supper [This may be switched with Thursday on the final schedule]
Chili (a very mild one and a moderately hot one) made with cubed beef. [both a soup and a meat]
Served with beans, cheese, onions, peppers, crackers, ???.
Green leafy salad with vegetables.
Bread.

Thursday - Supper
Sous Vide Mac and Cheese with Ham. The best mac and cheese I've ever tasted.
???? (Squash?) soup here
Green leafy salad possibly with onions and capers [depending on feedback].
Bread.

Friday - Supper
Pan fried talapia (could grill it on request). A very light, crisp flour coating, pan fried in olive oil. About 8 oz.
Mushroom soup (some carrot soup may be available for those allergic).
Green leafy salad with vegetables.
Brocolli cooked sous vide with butter and a little sea salt.
Bread.