[Emerald] Food and Feast Mini-Collegium--Saturday, August 5, 2006

lizdenpeters@juno.com lizdenpeters at juno.com
Fri Jul 7 07:59:13 PDT 2006

Good gentles,

Are you interested in period food but not sure where to start? Haven't
really cooked before much less cooked period recipes? Well, we have the
class for you!  Need a refresher on food handling, preparation
techniques, redactions, and sources? This is for you too!
Mark your calendars for Saturday, August 5, 2006. The site is the
Episcopal Church of the Good Samaritan, 1522 Highland Road, Dallas, Texas
75228. This is a lovely wooded site adjacent to the spillway at White
Rock Lake off Garland Road.
Master Petruccio Maria Cuccieri de Cataluna and HL Esther of Ennis Merth
are coordinating the classes for this event with the following tentative
schedule:
8:00-8:30 Basic Food Handling including sanitation, temperature control
and cross contamination issues
8:30-9:30 Basic Food Prep with overviews of modern and medieval
techniques
9:30-10:00 Basic Bread (start) taught by Mistress Elizabeth Curry
10:00-10:30 Basic Cheese including Farmers Cheese & Aged Cheeses
10:30-11:00 Basic Mead including Mead/Methygln/Cyser, Small Mead, &
Non-alcoholic Mead
11:00-11:30 Basic Butchering including Poultry, Beef Primal & Pork Primal
11:30-12:00 **Lunch Break
12:00-12:30 Redaction
12:30-1:00 Soup including Stock & Broth
1:00-2:00 Appetizer/ Sideboards
2:00-2:30 Basic Bread (end)
2:30-3:30 Main
3:30-4:00 Dessert.
4:00-5:00 Eat
5:00-7:00 Clean Up and Tear Down
Due to the nature of this collegium, all participants need to preregister
by July 25, 2006 so there will be enough time to purchase necessary
foodstuffs. In addition, there will be a materials fee to cover food
costs in the amount of $5.00 per person.
These are not typically “garb” events; however, if you are participating
and would like to wear garb, please wear something practical for kitchen
work. Bringing an apron to wear would be a good idea, also.
If you would like to attend and just eat, you will also need to
preregister and pay the materials fee so that there will be enough food
to go around. If you would just like to bring an A&S project and spend
the day with your friends and visit, please come by.
There is a smoking area outside with seating and receptacles for
cigarette butts. There are both men's and women's restrooms; however,
they are not fully wheelchair accessible. So, if someone wheelchair bound
wants to attend, we will need to know what assistance, if any, we must
provide so his or her restroom needs can be met.
This is a great venue and we are grateful to HL Lete Bithespring for her
assistance in locating it and obtaining such favorable terms for use of
the site.
To register, please contact Lady Fionnghuala the Fair by e-mail at:
lizdenpeters @ juno.com  (delete the spaces) or by telephone at
214-330-8518 (No calls before 8:30 AM or after 10:00 PM, please).
Remember that registration closes July 25, 2006.
Hope to see you there!