GE - Newcomers' Meetings

StephenMacthomas at aol.com StephenMacthomas at aol.com
Wed Dec 8 15:16:03 PST 1999

Greetings to the lists from Lord Stephen Macthomas!

I apologize in advance for the inevitable duplication of bandwidth that comes
from mailing announcements to multiple lists.

The SCA newcomers' meetings for the northern portions of the Barony of
Stargate and the Canton of Gate's Edge concludes this Thursday, December 9 at
7:30 pm at my home.

This Thursday's classes will include the arts and sciences, taught by Lady
Simone Valery la Rousse, and heraldry, covered by myself, as well as a brief
rundown of the rest the Society has to offer.  Following these classes, we
will have a roundtable discussion on The Newcomer's First Event.  I'll be
facilitating this discussion, which will try to answer any questions that our
newcomers have, and attempt to prepare our newcomers for Stargate Yule Revel
this weekend.

This week, I'd like to especially invite all experienced SCA members to
attend and take part in our roundtable.  Without you, our question-and-answer
session devolves into a question session, and we get nowhere except more
confused and inquisitive.  Your participation will make it happen this
Thursday.  If you are planning on attending, please let me know as soon as
possible.  We had twenty people (both newcomers and established Ansteorrans)
at last week's meeting and the house was fairly full, so seating is
unfortunately limited.

If you are a newcomer and wish to participate in these classes, please
contact me and let me know your intent as soon as possible, so that our
instructors know how many sets of class materials need to be prepared.
(Besides, my apartment only holds so many people!)  You may either call me at
281-651-0781 or e-mail me at stephenmacthomas at aol.com to reply.

The door opens at 7:00 pm, with the meeting getting underway at 7:30.
Because of the amount of information covered, we expect that the night will
end around 9:30 or so.  Drinks will be provided to all and all are invited to
bring the finger food/munchie of their choice.

To reach my home, take your best route to Interstate 45 and exit on
Cypresswood.  Turn west onto Cypresswood and pass through the Holzwarth
intersection.  Take your next right onto Hickory Twig Way, past the
commercial lots and gentle S-curve.  Take a right into the main entrance of
Cypresswood Crossing Apartments and dial 055 to let me buzz you through the
gate.  My building is the one to your right as you're dialing in, facing
Hickory Twig Way.  To park, head all the way down the drive, turn right, turn
right again and park as near the exit gate as possible.  I'm in apartment 55,
the second door along the fence.

I hope to see many of you here for the last of what has been a wonderful
series of meetings with an enthusiatic group of newcomers.

In your service,
Stephen Macthomas

PS  If you know of a newcomer who is in the area and would be interested in
attending these meetings, please pass this info along to them as soon as
possible.