GE - Weekend of the Gates Info

mihalik mihalik at garygreene.com
Thu Nov 11 14:16:36 PST 1999

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999 11:02:58 EST
 StephenMacthomas at aol.com wrote:
> Greetings to the populace of the cantons of Westgate and
> Gate's Edge from
> Stephen Macthomas:

> Our weekend to host TRF is almost upon us.  Here's a
> rundown of the
> activities we have planned so far ...
>
> House Navarre will hold its annual Prize Tourney this
> weekend.  The prize for
> the Chivalric and Rapier winners will be those
> spiffalicious war tabards that
> Lady Sara Navarre produces.  Thanks to Lady Sara and
> House Navarre for
> sponsoring the tournaments this weekend.
>
> We are asking each fighter who knows Baroness Adelicia
> Brabent to fight at
> least one round on the battle mound in her honor.  Her
> Excellency recently
> endured a lengthy and frightening hospital stay and we
> are overjoyed that she
> is home and doing well.  She will be joining us on
> Saturday we're happy to
> report, and we're looking forward to having her back in
> our midst.  In
> addition, she recently celebrated her birthday (I think
> it's her 34th, maybe
> 35th) and so the cause for celebration is doubled.
>
> A&S will be at least partially mundane populace vote.
> We'll try to ask our
> guests to take a minute or two to look over each of the
> artisans' works and
> to choose which they liked best.  I'd like to present a
> prize for populace
> choice as well as our own choice.
>
> The Bardic competition will (theoretically) be a
> challenge tournament, run in
> this manner: One bard shall challenge another.  These two
> go find a crowd and
> perform one piece each for them.  The bards then call
> their own shots, and if
> there's not a clear winner, the crowd gets the
> tiebreaking "vote" to decide
> the victor.  The "wins" are tallied, just as we do the
> marshalate
> tournaments.  Please note that this is a very embryonic
> idea, and we're wide
> open for ways of making this work.  The end concept is to
> entertain our
> mundane guests and to show them what the bards of the SCA
> are made of.  If a
> challenge tourney works, wonderful; if not, there's
> always Plan B.
>
> We are still in need of prizes for the A&S and Bardic
> competitions.  Please
> contact me ASAP if you can contribute.
>
> The Saturday evening's feast will be prepared by Milady
> Constance and Lady
> Seren.  Tacos and burritos for all, with a tortilla soup
> being prepared by
> Lady Ayla.  Should be wonderful eats for all.
>
> The Canton of Gate's Edge has challenged the Canton of
> Westgate to a skittles
> match on Saturday evening, for fun and bragging rights.
> Naturally, the
> winners get a big bag of Skittles (what else?) to share
> and distribute as
> [...]

Help. We want to be a part of this weekend, but we don't
know what to do. We are but poor (newcomers with no garb)My
wife (size 10) my newphew (age 7 small) and my self (tall &
large) would love to particapate if any one can help.

Please contact me, Thanks

WALT MIHALIK

3910 FM 1960 West, Suite 100
Houston, Texas 77068