GE - Sept populace

Michael Tucker michaelt at neosoft.com
Tue Aug 29 12:08:37 PDT 2000

Hi, all, from Michael Silverhands,
your Baron for another week and a bit :-)

Yes, Stephen is exactly correct. Stargate's Populace meeting is held the first
Monday of each month (and Officers the third Monday of each month), except when
that conflicts with a national holiday or some such. Usually, if there's a
conflict the meeting is bumped to the following (2nd or 4th) Monday. This has
been the case since I've been active in Stargate, about 15 years. (I count my
"years in the SCA" from my first event, about 20 years ago. But I've been active
enough to know what was going on for only about the past 15 years.) It isn't
done out of thoughtlessness to the needs of Gate's Edge or anyone else, it's
just the best way to resolve those occasional conflicts.

That usually works out to once a year for Populace and twice for Officers for
sure, and sometimes more: Martin Luther King Jr. Day (the 3rd Monday of
January), Labor Day (the 1st Monday of September), the Monday after Gulf Wars,
and sometimes Christmas, New Years, etc., depending on how the calendar works
out. Sometimes Gates Edge moves its Populace or Officers meeting on these
occasions, and sometimes not. It's up to the seneschals to decide each time,
with input from their populace.

I expect the next such adjustments to the meeting schedule to occur on Monday,
January 1, 2001 (the *actual* start of the new Millenium, i.e. the 21st century;
2000 is the *last* year of the 20th century). Then Martin Luther King, Jr. Day,
January 15, 2001. Then Labor Day, September 3, 2001. Stargate's Officers meeting
will probably not be held the Monday after next Gulf Wars, March 19, 2001.

Hmmm... for that matter, the 4th Monday in December, 2000, is Christmas Day.
(The 4th Monday in December, 2001, is Christmas Eve.) Will Gate's Edge hold
their Officers meeting that day? I doubt it... so you might as well adjust your
calendars now. :-)

Either way, as Eadric pointed out, it doesn't affect very many people (not that
we feel any less apologetic for moving the meeting). Signy, Annes, Stephen, and
a few others who usually try to make both meetings. Neassa and I intended to
make occasional meetings of both Gate's Edge and Westgate, but here we are 5
years later and we never did find/make time to do so. Ah, well... maybe Godwin
and Lissa will do a better job of managing their time than we did. :-)

Yours,
Michael

p.s. I felt that this discussion was of general interest to anyone in the
immediate Coastal region, so I've cc'd this to the Coastal list as well.