ANST-Announce - Stefan's files for August

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Aug 2 22:47:12 PDT 2000

Greetings to those across the Known World,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for August.

I am always looking for new articles to add to these files. The
author keeps the copyright. Even if you don't think you can
write a polished article, many bibliographies and even class
handouts will be good enough to use. If you have such items that
you think might be of interest to others in the SCA, please
contact me.

If you have comments, suggestions or criticisms of these files,
please feel free to contact me by email or at Pennsic. I will
be camping with the SPCA group in map location W10 this year.

If your group has a website, and is interested, I now publish
a version of this monthly article formatted for website use. Please
contact me for more details.

Stefan

-------------------------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past ten years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting
bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and
articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this
information available to others, I have placed this information in
a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

Files that are new or have been updated are indicated by a special
marker in the filelists at the website. In addition, the file
-updated-files is a listing of these files in chronological order.

A copy of my complete filelist is available in most sections of the
website. This filelist or any of my files is also available from me
by email in either Word or text formats.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.

For those who are traveling to Pennsic this year, particularly those
who are traveling there for their first time, there is a Pennsic section
in the Florilegium with a bunch of useful information. I will be there
again this year in case anybody wants to pass on their criticisms,
comments or suggestions to me directly or otherwise talk about the
Florilegium.

    Ld. Stefan li Rous   (512)892-0036    stefan at florilegium.org
    Ansteorra                             mark.s.harris at motorola.com

The new files for this month are:
Under BEVERAGES:
   Apricot-Crdal-art  "Apricot Cardamom Cordial" by Constance de LaRose.
   Kiwi-cordial-art   "Prickly Gooseberry, Mango, Cardamom
                         Cordial" by Constance de LaRose.
Under FEASTS:
   high-table-msg     Setting up and serving the High Table.
Under FOOD:
   meat-rolled-msg    Period dishes of meat rolled with a filling.
   Mrdonas-Ktchn-art  Mordonna's Kitchen. A series of articles
                         on period cooking by Mordonna DuBois.
   Redacting-art      "The Kitchen Wench Way: Redacting Recipes"
                         by Caointiarn.
   sel-frts-veg-msg   Selecting the best fruits and vegetables.
   thickening-msg     Use of period food thickening agents.
Under FOOD-BREADS-GRAINS:
   biscotti-msg       Period biscotti, a twice-baked travel bread.
Under FOOD-BY-REGION:
   fd-East-Eur-msg    Period food of Eastern Europe. Recipe sources
Under FOOD-FRUITS:
   grapes-msg         Period grapes, raisins and currants.
Under FOOD-UTENSILS:
   strainers-msg      Period sieves and strainers.
Under PERSONAL CARE:
    Mouthwash-art     "Mint and Mouthwash" by Constance de LaRose.
Under PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES:
   Laurel-Tree-art    "Laurel Tree" by Constance de LaRose.
Under SCRIBAL ARTS:
   scrpt-develop-art  "Societal Influences on Script Development"
                         by Mistress Aquilanne Grace.

Here are a few of the files which have had significant additions:
   arrows-msg        Period arrows, making arrows.
   beer-msg          Making beer, period beer and ale. Hops.
   bev-distilled-msg Medieval distilled beverages. Distilling.
   beverages-msg     Beverages in general. alcholic drinks.
   child-clothes-msg Period and SCA children's clothing.
   dance-msg         SCA and period dancing.
   eggs-msg          Egg storage. Recipes. Substitutions.
   fd-Spain-msg      Food of medieval Spain. Cookbooks.
   instruments-msg   Musical instruments.
   knighthood-msg    Knighthood in SCA and period.
   kvass-msg         Russian drink made from bread or grains.
   lamb-mutton-msg   Medieval lamb and mutton. Recipes.
   mead-msg          Making mead. Honey based alcoholic beverage.
   roast-meats-msg   Hints and period recipes for beef roasts.
   root-veg-msg      Medieval and period root vegetables.
   sausages-msg      Period sausages. Making sausage.
   soup-msg          Medieval soups. Cooking soups at events. recipes.
---
Copyright 2000, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if
the
contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication.
Notification may be by email and reformating is allowed.

<end>

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net