GE - Re: candidates for baron and baroness

Michael Tucker michaelt at neosoft.com
Fri Jun 9 07:10:46 PDT 2000

Greetings all, from Michael Silverhands:

Thanks, Stephen, for your kind words. Yes, we have discouraged folks from
handing Their Majesties, Their Highnesses and Neassa and me a Very Important
Letter (tm) at an event. I'll never forget the lesson I learned when I was
Kingdom Chronicler and found a Black Star related check in the bottom of my
armor bag... 6 months after someone had handed it to me, just as I was about to
walk onto the list field.

In any case, the list that was posted is accurate, and complete to the best of
my knowledge at this writing (Friday morning). Anyone who's still sitting on the
fence about applying, needs to come down on one side or the other by tomorrow. :-)

I read in "Over the Edge" a couple of things that I'd like to clarify. First,
yes it's true that Their Majesties and Their Highnesses have said that They will
give more weight to polls from members than from non-members, but I would not
characterize it as "much more heavily weighted". The truth is, that's a very
subjective issue, and none of us know (probably not even Their Majesties and
Their Highnesses) exactly how much difference there will be. Still, this is a
good time to update your memberships if you've let yours lapse. If nothing else,
it's a good excuse for a membership drive. :-)

Also, much was said about (I'm paraphrasing) "coming to Stargate's July populace
meeting and casting your VOTE" (emphasis mine). This is NOT a "vote" or an
"election". These people are not "running for office". They will be APPOINTED by
Their Majesties Timotheus and Allyson when the time comes. You hold this office,
as I have said many times, "by the Grace of the Crown and at the Will of the
Populace". The Crown will be POLLING the populace, to see what everyone's
opinion is concerning the various candidates. From Corpora:

VI. Branch Administration
   B. Territorial Barons and Baronesses
      1. Appointment and Removal
         a. The Crown shall appoint a territorial Baron and/or Baroness
            according to the laws and customs of the kingdom when a branch
            is granted baronial status, and at such times as a new Baron
            and/or Baroness is required. The barony's opinion on the matter
            must be requested and received in writing, and the appointments
            must not be substantively opposed by the populace of the barony.

So, the Crown is not bound in any way by the results of the polling, except that
they may not appoint someone who is clearly opposed by the populace. The Crown
often, but by no means always, appoints the person(s) who were most favorable to
the populace. But, in the end, the Crown appoints the person(s) They feel will
best meet the needs of the Barony for now and the foreseeable future. With (at
least) six good sets of candidates to consider, it is unlikely that any of them
will receive a clear majority of the nominations when the populace is polled.
That's why the Crown interviews all the candidates, so They can get a good feel
for who these people are and how they are likely to be if they are appointed.

Just in case the horse isn't quite dead yet: a VOTE is a binding ballot in an
ELECTION, while a POLL is a non-binding opinion in a SURVEY. Sorry if I beat
this issue too long, but it's a *very* important distinction and I don't want
anyone to be confused by the words in "Over the Edge".

As Stephen said, Neassa and I will happily answer almost any question you care
to ask about this process, whether you're a candidate or not. We want the Barony
and her Cantons to get their new "Baron and/or Baroness" with as little pain and
as much joy as possible.

Yours in service,
Michael