[Gatesedge] Re: GE - OT....new Telephone Scam

MiB thanatos at cityscope.net
Sat Apr 28 08:18:12 PDT 2001

That is an real hoax but the 90#  scam can work only on businesses with a
central switchboard to an outside line, so it has been targeted at
hospitals, government agencies and large companies. .

If your uncle said "he got hit by it yesterday and did some checking." then
he obviously was pulling your leg. Ask him to show you the phone bill.
Unless he has a commercial PBX system in his house for some reason, it
didn't happen.  The scam does exist but home consumers are not at risk.

I did a simple search for "phone scam" on the net and came up with this.

http://www.att.com/features/0398/90pound.html
http://www.enquirer.com/editions/1999/03/18/fin_phone_scam_hits.html

Now there is a REAL scams out there than CAN affect your home telephone
line. Read about it here. Funny how the real scams never get the press but
the false scares spread like wildfire.
http://wpds.net/features/phonescam.htm
http://www.att.com/fraud/home.html#four

BTW never "forward this to everyone you know" without checking it for
yourself. It is people that just forward every silly thing without checking
it out is why the net is so full of Spam and junk emails .

Melanie