GE - Metal Casting/Start A Guild?

Jennifer Mittelstaedt gwyn_26 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 20 10:56:26 PST 2001

	Yes, I did the lost wax type of casting.  We used the layers of a plaster
and sand mix.  Starting with the finer sand closest to the positive form of
the wax piece for the first few layers.  Then using a coarser and coarser
sand after that.  The more layers you have the stronger your mold.  Of
course you had to let each layer dry completely in between each coat.  Then
you place the mold upside down in the kiln to melt out the wax.  Then you go
to the process of melting your metal.  In my case it was bronze.  Pour, let
it cool for a
minute and then dump it in a bucket of water to get the plaster/sand mold
off.  And then you get to clean it.  And that is another story...

	This idea of starting a casting guild sounds really neat.  If I can be of
help just let me know.

Gwyn