GE - Re: metal casting learning/GTG with Tyr

Maria scarlettmb at prodigy.net
Sun Feb 25 16:20:12 PST 2001

Tyr,
Aluminum melts at 1219 F, however, I would not advise trying to melt aluminum in a furnace as at high temperatures in the presence of oxygen it will revert to its native state, aluminum oxide.  It's usually melted by an electrical current.  My husband tried it in college.  Gold melts at 1945 F.  Silver melts at 1760 F.   Platinum is virtually unmeltable, melting at 3223 F. My husband suggests melting lead, melting point 621 F, and coating it with a material the color  you are trying to achieve, spray paint is probably best.  You can succeed where period alchemists failed and turn lead into gold.
Maria
Lady Maria da Firenze Buchanan