GE - Casting

Eadric Anstapa smills at barley.scabrewer.com
Mon Feb 26 13:59:23 PST 2001

A few quick notes about regarding the casting discussion
that has taken place on this list.  Then I suggest that
this discussion be taken off this list.

First you CAN successfully and easily cast aluminum in
your you backyard with a homebuilt furnace and foundry
heated by normal propane or charcoal.  I can point you do
dozens of web sites devoted to hobby/backyard casting of
aluminum.  Aluminum is easy to find at any scrap yard in
the form of old car parts.  The best aluminum I ever cast
was from old aluminum gutter material that I melted
down.  I dunno what it was alloyed with, but it flowed
real nicely and remained flexible rather than getting
brittle as aluminum sometimes does.

Lead shouldn't be discounted completely.  It is easy to
get as fishing simkers or old tire weights.  I would not
use it for a final piece because it is too soft but it is
nice to use to test with.

For small volumes of low temp casting metals look at
http://www.miniaturemolds.com/  Specifically the page
http://www.miniaturemolds.com/metals__.htm

For supplies and a nice viariety of alloys look at
http://www.shorinternational.com/   For some neat casting
alloys look at
http://www.shorinternational.com/CastAlloys.htm For their
general casting page look at
http://www.shorinternational.com/casting.htm Here you can
find sand casting supplies and kits, crucibles,
investment casting materials, etc.

Other sources of metals include
http://www.conquestind.com/main.htm
http://www.atlasmetal.com/
http://www.riogrande.com/

If you are going to do a good bit of casting, once you
get your metals I suggest that you go down and buy a cast-
iron cornbread or muffin pan.  They make great ingot
molds for casting your spare metal into and they come in
neat shapes.  My SOP was to first  all take the scrap
lead and aluminum and melt it down and pour it into
muffin pans first so that when I had a casting project I
had clean ingots to start with (we actually called them
lead, aluminum or pewter "thingies").

For the low-temp alloys and pewters you wont need a
furnace.  You can melt then right in a crucible with a
torch.

Good luck with the ceramic molds,  Don't expect to get
too may castings out of them.

Regards,

Eadric