[Gatesedge] Administrative Change to Gatesedge - IMPORTANT

macthomas macthomas at mail.ev1.net
Mon Apr 29 16:05:32 PDT 2002

Greetings unto the list:

Recently there has been a spate of spammers that have attempted to
send posts with attachments to the list.  We have been fortunate
that our filters have caught these posts before they were sent out
to the list.  However, due to the marked increase of incidents
that we have experienced over the past 24-48 hours, I am making a
change to the filters.

Up until now, any message that was over 40 KB in length was sent
to the administrator for approval before being posted to the
list.  I have changed this number to 10 KB.  If it appears that
this turns out to pend a number of legitimate posts by our list
subscribers, I'll adjust to compensate so that we aren't keeping
anyone out but the spammers.

I apologize if this causes any inconvenience to anyone.  Part of
my responsibility as the admin is to ensure that you have a safe,
virus-free list.  To the best of my knowledge, we've never had one
get through and I have no intention of letting one get through now.

If anyone has any comments, I would ask that they be sent either
to macthomas at ev1.net or to gatesedge-owner at ansteorra.org and not
to the list.

In your service,
Stephen Macthomas