[Gatesedge] Virus Warning

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Mon Apr 29 19:27:29 PDT 2002

Greetings Everyone.

I just wanted to take a minute to warn everyone about a very real Virus
Threat.  Over the last week I have been being attacked several times a day
by variants of the W32.Klez email worm.  The frequency of the attacks is
increasing.

 W32.Klez is a mass-mailing worm that will send itself to all email
addresses in the Microsoft Outlook Address Book. The worm may include a
virus that will destroy all files on the 13th of March and September.  It
uses it's own SMTP engine to propagate and will copy itself to all attached
local and network drives.

If you are not using Outlook as your email client you are not at risk unless
you are i nthe habit of saving and executing attachmenst emailed to you.

Thankfully, my Norton Antivirus software has been catching and stopping this
Worm.  I encourage you all to update your virus definitions if you have not
done so recently.

If you are worried that you are infected, Symantec has released a removal
tool that can clean your system.  It can be downloaded at:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.removal.too
l.html

Regards,

Lord Eadric Anstapa
Coastal Regional Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com