[Gatesedge] The Handfasting

D. Vandever hlannes at ev1.net
Mon Jan 21 17:50:16 PST 2002

Dear Friends,

As many of you are aware, I have consented to handfast the Honorable Lord
Thorgard inn Svarti at the Bjornsborg Spring Event to be held at Savernake
Keep near Bjornsborg on the weekend of Feb. 22,23,24. The handfasting is
binding on us for a year and a day.  At which time we will probably have a
big party and renew the bindings.  To which everyone is of course, invited.

I need your aide in order to get myself safetly and rightly handfasted.

I am in need of:

1 herald-to read out my virtues, accomplishments and to announce my dowery.

1 banner bearer

2 people to pass out the bride & groom's gifts to the assembled
guests/witnesses.

At least 5 people to carry tokens of my
dowery/accomplishments.  More than 5 can be accomidated as I have lots of
stuff to show off to my prospective and future groom.

You do not need to wear viking garb nor garb of my timeperiod.  I just need
folks who like to playact a bit and enjoy being part of a spectical.  I am
calling on my closest friends and allies of my home canton prior to making a
wider plea into the barony or the kingdom itself.  I am in hopes that enough
of you intend to travel to this event that Gate's Edge will be the main
representatives who are in my entourage.

I am also in need of several friends who can help me prepare the banquet
table for the guests.

I am in hopes that many of you will choose to come to this event and share
in my happiness.  I do wish to make everyone also aware that this is an
"SCA" handfasting only not a mundane nor legal binding.  Please do not
purchase gifts for myself or my groom.  Not only would that not have been
done in period in his tradition and culture into which I am placing myself
but it would not be appropriate in the light that this is a "pretend" sort
of relationship.  We are doing this because it is fun and it continues both
of our personae stories.  However, we have been Lord and Lady for sometime
in the SCA and out of it and my happiness is genuine.  As is his, I hope!
:)

That being said, if any of you are going and wish to increase any of the
"fun" of the handfasting such as bringing food or with suggestions, please
contact me off list at:

hlannes at ev1.net

with your suggestions etc.

Until then, I remain....