[Gatesedge] More Translations

D. Vandever hlannes at ev1.net
Tue Jul 9 21:16:19 PDT 2002

Magnus wrote:

> The name is 11 years old and it would be helpful if I could see the
original
> docs.  Without that I strongly
> suspect Gate's Edge isn't registerable as a branch
> name today.

I just pulled the file out of the drawer.  There are about 50 different
copies of the device...about half of them the original blazon and then the
other half the revised blazon we put through when the 1st one was returned
to us.

There are also several different petitions, signed by the member's of the
group of the time, asking the college of herald's to approve the name and
device.  Why we did that is anybody's guess.  And I was seneschal at the
time.  I'm guessing it was what we were told we needed to do.  There wasn't
any "New Group Liason" at the time to guide us in the process, so we were
pretty much "winging" it.

There is also a letter from Dathi (then Star) dated November 23, 1992 in
which he confirms that the canton name was registered by the college of Arms
on "January 18, 1992"  He then goes on to express that "this letter" and
"accomplishment" (ie registering the name) would help us lose the incipient
status.  He apologizes that he had no word on our device but promised to let
us know as soon as he did.  Then at the bottom is a handwritten note that
says "This just in:  The device passed, too."

Other than that, there is nothing which documents the name at all.  No
paperwork...nada.  I guess I'm going to have to get ahold of Asterisk and
see what she has and if I can get a copy of it.

So I don't see any grandfather usage
> that would allow you to register a translation
> of a now unregisterable name.  You haven't been able
> to use translations of the group name in personal names
> for a long time.
<<<<<snip>>>>>
.  In short, the edge of a
> gate isn't a place where humans would have been able
> to live.
<<<<<<snip>>>>>

> Don't feel bad.  Most of the older branches in Asteorra
> have names that can't be registered today.  Stargate, Namron, and Elfsea
> certainly aren't registerable any more.
>
> Send me the original research when you find it and
> maybe there will be something in there that might show.
>
> Wish I could be more optomistic about this one.

We do what we can, Magnus.  What we can't do, we can't do.  I'll see what
Cahira has in her files.

Annes
Dear God,  Help me to be the person
my dog thinks I am.  Amen